I think I have an algae bloom - I'm finally SLAMing

Re: I think I have an algae bloom

Richard,

I believe I understood what you meant. Dump a cap of chlorine into a bucket of pool water to see if the testing kit detects the higher level of chlorine. My plan was to take a baseline test then put in the cap of chlorine and see if the results were different. When I took that baseline test and it measured a noticeable increase in the FC from the last test (recall that I added 2 pounds of dichlor the night before) it increased my confidence in the reagents so I skipped the test of the test kit that you suggested. Then I did the CYA test and my confidence dropped again. Based on what I've learned in the last day about dichlor it doesn't make sense that my CYA dropped after I added 4 pounds of the stuff.

I went ahead and added 3 gallons of 10% last night under the theory that if my FC test is right I need to be at least at 5 per your prior advice. I'll test again tonight.

I most likely still need to SLAM but I feel like I need to have testing that I know is accurate before I start or I will just be wasting time and money (I've already done enough of that).

The powder that I put in the sample at the start of the FAS/DPD test isn't disolving very well. I'm putting the cap on tube and shaking it pretty vigorously and there are still some granuals at the bottom. I'm going to take a sample to Leslies this weekend and see how close their results are to mine. It also looks like I have a lot of testing in my future so I'm going to go ahead and order some replacement reagents for the FAS/DPD and CYA test.

If you are talking about your CYA dropping from 60 (pool store) to 40 (your test) this is where I might toss the pool store under the bus.
Like you say take a sample in and see what they get. If theirs moves down then you get your confidence back :)
If you know your kits chemicals are up to date I'd trust yourself. You are paying much more attention to getting it right than the "other guy". If in doubt run the test again and see if you verify your result. You'll go through more chemicals but it's a way to build confidence.

3 gallons 10% should raise your FC 11ppm from wherever you were at when added.

See the issue is that I don't know that my kit's chemicals are up to date. I bought it last September but failed to read the article on TFP about proper storage. So they spent the winter and spring in a cabinet on my back covered porch. It got pretty cold this winter (for Texas) so I'm concerned my negligence may have caused deterioration in the chemicals.

I've got a neighbor who is a medical doctor (so I'm assuming she's good at chemistry). They built a salt water pool around the same time as me with the same pool builder. She's a TFP disciple and has the same test kit as the one I have. I may ask her to come over and test for a validation.

Has your Taylor kit arrived?

Heat is far worse than cold. Odds are they are a ok. In the interim trust them over the pool store which is almost certainly wrong.

UPS says it's out for delivery :whoot:

Are you going to have her use her kit ?? Would be a good idea to check against your results.

One more trip today to the pool store to check the pool and the spa. Have spent a lot of time on the pool and realized I've never tested the spa. In seven years have only changed the water 2X !!! I had no idea it should be 3-4 times a year. Funny I haven't died from a bronchial infection or at least suffered a serious skin rash. The results were terrible and I really got the look from the employees. Good thing is it's indoor and I'm pretty much the only user. My GF the owner just has no idea and I never thought to read up on it. Just trusted her . . . wasn't a good thing in this case.
TDS 2900
CYA 70
TB 0
PH 6.2 bottomed out at
TA 10
Water needs to be dumped but I was playing with the chemistry and I just want to see where the numbers end up. The change in numbers will give me an idea if guessing at 250 gal is accurate. I can't get any info on it searching the web and even the Mfg can't tell me, I've asked. I guess at 35 years old it should be dead by now :)

just adding my opinion on pool store numbers.. The most common miread test at the pool store is CYA!! Which is also the most important, they had told me twice in the past my CYA was 40 when in fact it was 0!!!!!! DONT TRUST THE POOL STORE READINGS!!!

Tonight's update: FC 5.8 CC .4 PH 7.4

FC is up to where Richard told me I needed to be but less than where kissrafrog expected it would be. Still not sure about my testing kit. My neighbor is coming over Sunday or Monday for a parallel. I'll keep testing in the mean time.

When you dropped in the 3 gallons last night you did raise the FC by 11ppm. That's using the Pool Math calculator for your size pool. That three gallons has been eaten away at by sun, wind and the organic "stuff" in your pool so it's expected it will be down. If you tested it shortly after adding the bleach you would have "seen" the 11ppm in the test but it's been around 24 hours so it's bound to drop. It's normal.

Have my kit, now I have to figure out how to use it :testkit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My neighbor kindly came by for a parallel test last night. It would appear that I do have some deterioration in the chemicals for my test kit. My results came in close to hers but usually off a few degrees. We bought our kits from the save vendor (through Amazon) within a month of each other so I feel it was a valid parallel. So I'll be buying some replacement chemicals soon. Probably need advice on that too but I'll start another thread.

PH came in high so I added some muriatic acid last night. I'll retest tonight but I'll probably need to add another pint or two. My neighbor (who is a medical doctor and seems to know a lot about chemistry :D) recommended that I get my PH under control first.

CYA is around 40 so I need to add some stabilizer as well. I haven't done that before. I did read here at TFP that this is the one thing I would go to a pool store to buy. A search on the Leslie's site gave me Dry Acid (Sodium bisulfate). Is that what I need?

As for the pool. Water remains clear. I cranked my SWG up to 70%. The PB set it at 50%. I'm running about 8 hours a day but on the evenings that I've added chlorine or muriatic acid I run a 4 hour egg timer routine.

Thanks again.

No, Sodium bisulfate is not CYA. It's dry acid for adjusting pH. Muriatic Acid is generally cheaper and more effective and adds no sulfur to the water.

If you go to Leslies to buy CYA, it's Conditioner. But pool stores are dangerous places. You may end up leaving with hundreds of dollars' worth of phosfree and clarifiers and whatever else they can scare you into buying. Look in the pool aisle at Walmart or Lowes or some other chain big-box hardware store. Read the ingredients. You're looking for cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid.

Refills are available through http://tftestkits.net. You can get the cute K-2006 refills or larger sizes of the CYA and whatever that won't fit in the box.

The CYA stuff
Walmart : http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner/17043638
Expensive Walmart liquid : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Basi...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n
HTH at HomeDepot (same stuff as Walmart) : http://t.homedepot.com/p/HTH-4-lb-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner-61316/100239944/
BioGard from pool store : http://www.bioguard.com/Our_Products/Balancers/Stabilizer_100

And when adding granular CYA it's easiest to put it in a sock and place it in your skimmer. You need to go out and knead the sock once in a while to help it along. Remember to wait a few days before retesting for CYA as it can take up to a week for it to show up in a test once it's fully dissolved from the sock. You also don't want to backwash your filter during this time.

Instead of the Sodium Bisulfate, depending on how easy or cheap it is for you:
Muriatic acid, replacement for "pH Down" : http://www.menards.com/main/paint/c.../sunnyside-muriatic-acid/p-1479906-c-5651.htm
Replaces things like this : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pool-Time-5-LB-pH-Down-23320PTM/202245645

As for pool stores, the best thing to remember is when asked about a product or having something you didn't walk in to get recommended say
"I think I have some of that at home, let me check". ;);)

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice.

So my CYA is at 40 and I need to get it to 70. So the PoolMath calculator says I need to add 112 oz by weight which is 7 pounds. The Leslies product Richard provided is $42 for 8 pounds do about $5 a pound. The Walmart HTH product is $15.47 for 15 ounces so, unless there is a larger quantity option at Walmart, Leslies has the rare price advantage here. I'm I thinking about this correctly?

Please don't think that I'm a personal shopper. I'm only giving examples to point you in the right direction.
That part number should be for a 4lb container like on Ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141319311452?lpid=82
The Walmart ad does say 15oz and it's 15oz on the container so you may need to go to the store to figure out what they really have on hand and for how much.
If you looked at the HomeDepot link it is a 4lb container of the same HTH product for $18 something so I'm pretty sure Wally World just screwed up the listing.

You need to do some shopping or searching of you want to save money or you can always just get Pool Stored :hammer:

Thanks.

Didn't mean to suggest you were my personal shopper. :joker: I'm just the type that likes to do as much research as possible on the internet so I can get in and get out of whatever store I'm going to.

There's a Walmart right next door to a Lowes on my route home. Leslie's is about a mile up the road and not too far out of my way if I happen to strike out at the two big box locations. So I can take a swing through that gauntlet on the way home today.

I appreciate your advice and patience.

Picked up 8 pounds for about $30 at Walmart (Woody is getting much better prices in East Texas so I may have to go to Walmart next time I'm in Tyler). I've got a sock full in one skimmer. Pool math says that I need to add 7 pounds to get CYA up to target for SWG pool (70-80). Can I get another sock full going in my other skimmer?

Picked up 8 pounds for about $30 at Walmart (Woody is getting much better prices in East Texas so I may have to go to Walmart next time I'm in Tyler). I've got a sock full in one skimmer. Pool math says that I need to add 7 pounds to get CYA up to target for SWG pool (70-80). Can I get another sock full going in my other skimmer?

You can ... but CYA is one you want to sneak up on. Target 50-60 then test in a week and add enough to get you the rest of the way there (adjusting for any overages in the first dose.)

I'd work that first dose in. Go out a couple times a day and squeeze that sock getting the CYA into the system. Test in a week and go from there. You can put more in but you have to drain water to get it out :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.