I switched chlorine.. I love it BUT I"ve been warned it WILL bleach my pool liner !! - Erica

EricaBowie

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Maryland
Is there a way (I was thinking of using a sock and letting it float around the pool or in the skimmer) to get granulated chlorine to gently disburse in the water without broadcasting it in to the deep end where some will settle on bottom and bleach the liner ?! FYI: I used Zappit 73% for years but near the end of last season (Maryland in August) I tried Doheny's Chlorine Super Shock. It has a 24-36 hr lag time before it peaks (compared to Zappit) but I was prepared for that thanks to all the education you have shared with me. Doheny's managed the heat, humidity, and sun of August twice as well as Zappit ever did. I literally mean I was putting in half as much chemical to keep the pool crystal clear. Must I bleach my new liner getting installed this month or is there a way to use Doheny's Shock with a liner ?

And yes, I've tried to find fresh, liquied bleach but it just isn't available in Maryland at a reasonable cost during the summer. THANK YOU SO MUCH... you all are a Blessing. :) -- Erica

Who warned you...and what are they losing out on if you use liquid chlorine versus whatever they are selling ;)

BTW - both of those products are just Cal-Hypo, and contain no stabilizer - are you testing for CYA, and do you have sufficient CYA to prevent UV burning all your FC away ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Users who had purchased the product said it bleached their liners... I have tried and failed to get unexpired liquid chlorine in Maryland that is not crazy expensive. So I use the shock due to availability not that I believe it's better than liquid (if I could get fresh bleach.. but I can't). YES... you trained me to check the CYA and I have stabilizer. I know I will need it this year as the new liner is forcing new water this year... O Joy !!!

Users who had purchased the product said it bleached their liners...
They had zero clue what they were doing with regards to their FC/CYA relationship.

If you know what your levels are, and what you're adding will do to them while remaining in reccomended ranges, you'll be fine.

Also. Most Walmart's have pool essentials 10% for mid $5s a gallon.

I have tried and failed to get unexpired liquid chlorine in Maryland
Where are you in MD? Here are two sources with LC in stock.

Clarks ACE Hardware-Ellicott City - Ellicott City, MD

Towson Lowe's 1400 TAYLOR AVENUE Parkville, MD 21234

I used Zappit 73% for years but near the end of last season (Maryland in August) I tried Doheny's Chlorine Super Shock. It has a 24-36 hr lag time before it peaks (compared to Zappit) but I was prepared for that thanks to all the education you have shared with me. Doheny's managed the heat, humidity, and sun of August twice as well as Zappit ever did. I literally mean I was putting in half as much chemical to keep the pool crystal clear.
None of this makes any sense. Other than concentration these are exactly the same chemical, possibly even coming from the same production facility. Nobody here would have told you that it takes 24-36 hours for cal-hypo to register on a test, and neither is protected from sunlight and rely on existing CYA in your water. Once in the water chlorine is chlorine so there's no way one would react differently to the other or cause any change in chemical usage.

Any solid chlorine product left on any surface will cause bleaching. That's a feature, not a bug.

I'm in Bowie MD and yes I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart at different times and none of the dates were good on the liquid chlorine.. now it's been 5 years since I tried liquid since it was bust that summer. I think the shock switch has to do with individual 1lb bags staying fresher than the 50 gallon shock I used to by for Zappit. Yes, Doheny's shows increased chlorine prior to 24-36hours... I just noticed that it continued to peak during that time... a pleasant change. If the Doheny's will not stain my new liner... then that is wonderful news. But if you all thought it would stain, then I wanted to do my best to protect the new liner. Once this 25lbs of Doheny's is gone through... I will go back to Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot and see if they have the in date liquid chlorine since so many of you can get it. THANKS !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.