I swear I can smell low pH, anyone else?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Does anyone else find this, especially in my spa. There is a bit of a different smell that is distinctive when the pH is 7 or lower. Or am I crazy?

I have never had the ph lower than 7 in my spa - this shouldn’t be a regular occurrence & is a corrosive condition. What led to the ph being so low?

Only time is when I happen to overdose with acid. But I generally add a bit of baking soda which solves it pretty quickly. But it is strange seeing orange when doing a pH test rather than the magenta that I am used to!

edit - I happened to do that today in my spa. Then I added a bit of baking soda and pH is now 7.5 and TA is 30. I can never get pH below 8 and TA over 50 so I don't worry about my TA levels.

Last edited:
pH can affect the chemistry, so it is not hard to believe that the water could smell different with different chemistry.

You might release carbon dioxide or maybe you smell more volatile chemicals.

You might smell chlorine or bromine compounds being volatilized etc.

pH can affect the chemistry, so it is not hard to believe that the water could smell different with different chemistry.

You might release carbon dioxide or maybe you smell more volatile chemicals.

You might smell chlorine or bromine compounds being volatilized etc.
My spa uses a SWCG for sanitizing. But I would notice this same smell back when I used bromine years ago.

Reactions: JamesW
get the ta up to 40-50 with a dab more soda &
Next time Aim a little higher when dosing ph -
7.6 ish/7.8 is fine.
This should prevent tanking your ta & then dealing with the fluctuations

Reactions: proavia
There are no significant reports of "pH smell" on TFP. If there are any, I would disregard them. "Smell" of your pool water would involve organics in your pool so you might check FC consumption with an OCLT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.