I now realize I have no idea how big my pool is. **pics**

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I now realize I have no idea how big my pool is. We just moved into our house a month ago. We were told that the pool was 25,000 gallons. When I had the pool inspected, I asked the guys who did it if that sounded right, by looking at our pool. They said they thought so. It is a free-form pool, so it is not easy to find the area or volume of the pool. So when I started doing BBB, I used 25,000 as my size in pool calculator. I soon realized that the FC went up higher than expected (but at this point I did not do a FAS/DPD chlorine test to check the exact value). I decided I'd start lowering the size of the pool in pool calculator to see what values seemed to work with my pool, and go with that size. But then I realized that what I thought were stains were mustard algae (the water itself is crystal clear).

So today I started the process to get rid of the mustard algae. I measured my FC at 1.5 ppm, and using pool calculator and 22,000 gallons as my pool size, I figured out I needed 3.8 of the 182 oz jugs of chlorine to reach "standard" shock value of 16. Well, an hour and a half later, I measure the FC and it is 27 ppm :shock: . That's even above the mustard algae shock value of 24 ppm I was going to eventually shoot for. I went back into pool calculator, and using all of my measured values for all tests, I played around with the pool size I would have to get a rise from 1.5 ppm to 27 ppm given how much chlorine I added. I came up with between 13,000 and 14,000 gallons. That's a heck of a lot smaller than 25,000 gallons. :?: Perhaps the previous owners meant 15,000 gallon pool size? There is no way for us to contact them anymore. They were already out of state when we bought the house. But shouldn't someone who works around lots of pools be able to tell the difference between a 15,000 gallon pool and a 25,000 gallon pool? Or could something else be causing the discrepancy?

Any advice on how I should proceed from here?

Re: I now realize I have no idea how big my pool is.

Also realize that all 6% bleach is not 6%. If it is very fresh it could be high and certainly if it is old, it could be lower.

If you have to do pH adjustments, try using those to calibrate your pool volume as well.

Okay, here is a picture of my pool, and a drawing I made of the measurements. Since it is a free-form pool, I had to guess at the longest length of the pool by doing two measurements and adding, which wasn't a straight forward as it sounds. The depth measurements are included in the drawing. Is this helpful? Thanks!

dsc0324d.jpg

poolmeasurements.jpg

Here is my completely inaccurate WAG: Average width: 14 feet. Length: 38 feet. Average depth 5.5 feet. Approximately oval.

Pool calculator gives 20,200 gallons.

This feels like one of those games where you have to guess how many M & M's there are in a big glass jar.....

Re: I now realize I have no idea how big my pool is. **pics*

Thanks, we think it's really nice looking too. It's one reason we decided to buy it. I just wish the previous owners took better care of it. I don't think the mustard algae is a new thing. It seems to have some stains right where the algae is growing. Even after I scrub and scrub, there is still a shadow of tan/brown in spots.

And as for privacy, it is private, except that the side I am standing on to take the picture has a clear view of the neighbors on that side. But, they don't come out much, so I still think skinny dipping is a possibility :wink: .

I would put you closer to 17,000 gallons.
Average width of 13', average length of 35', and average depth of 5' using the rectangular estimate.
Or 13x38x5 oval.

Looks like half the pool is 3.5' and the other half slopes to 7.5' ... so the average depth is likely less than 5.5'

It is all really guess work ... without trying to draw it up in a CAD program.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jblizzle said:
I would put you closer to 17,000 gallons.
Average width of 13', average length of 35', and average depth of 5' using the rectangular estimate.
Or 13x38x5 oval.

Looks like half the pool is 3.5' and the other half slopes to 7.5' ... so the average depth is likely less than 5.5'

It is all really guess work ... without trying to draw it up in a CAD program.

More than half the pool is deep. I think my drawing distorts the dimensions a bit. It's not exactly to "scale." Pun intended. Sorry. :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.