I need to make our new above ground pool into a saltwater pool. I need all the help I can get.

FYRWMN

Jun 14, 2023
Kansas City, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Costco pool, still in the box.
PowerSteel 22"x 12'x 48" Above Ground Oval Pool
Water Capacity: 6,021 gal
I really need help in finding out what SWG I need and any other supplies.
My Dr. has recommended it for myself & spouse for Lupus & PSA.
THANK YOU EVERYONE.

We recommend that a SWCG should be rated 2x your pool volume so a 12k gal rated SWCG is needed.
Have you looked at Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features | DSP
This shows a comparison of various models in the industry.
Many members have been pleased with the RJ Plus series of CircuPool however the EDGE and CORE are also good and may be more suitable for your size of pool.

Although salt water is new to me we purchased a pool with a Hayward Aquatrol generator that's good for 18,000 gallons so it's good for 3x the size of your pool. It is attached to the pool at the return fitting.

I'm certainly not an expert on this but it is simple, the Aquatrol comes with a standard AC plug and a timer built in. It doesn't have a flow switch but for whatever reason Hayward claims it doesn't need one. I think you can buy the complete unit for less than $1000.

Have an older Hayward AquaTrol which has been very good to us.

For me the best part is, the panel has an outlet for the pump and I didn't need to add another electrical outlet.

Your pool is a "soft sided" pool like Intex. This means that most likely the fittings are not industry standard. This gives you basically 2 options. You can use industry standard equipment such as Hayward, Circupool, etc. However, this will require you to use adapters to use with the included pump. On that note you could also go "all out" and just convert everything to industry standard equipment by buying a new pump/filtration system. That will require you to cut the intakes and return openings for the larger fittings. The "easy" way would be to purchase an Intex 26669EG SWG as it should use the exact same fittings. If you go the Intex route you will probably need an additional hose or two. Hope that made sense...

Although salt water is new to me we purchased a pool with a Hayward Aquatrol generator that's good for 18,000 gallons so it's good for 3x the size of your pool. It is attached to the pool at the return fitting.

I'm certainly not an expert on this but it is simple, the Aquatrol comes with a standard AC plug and a timer built in. It doesn't have a flow switch but for whatever reason Hayward claims it doesn't need one. I think you can buy the complete unit for less than $1000.
The flow switch is use when the cell is in the horizontal position due to the fact that a byproduct of cholorine production is Hydrogen gas which is highly flammable and explosive. Then the cell is in the vertical position, the gas is vented out the return jet.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
The flow switch is use when the cell is in the horizontal position due to the fact that a byproduct of cholorine production is Hydrogen gas which is highly flammable and explosive. Then the cell is in the vertical position, the gas is vented out the return jet.
Good reason and makes sense!

An aquatrol will require custom plumbing and technically a bonding system which is a complicated retrofit to a storable pool.

I would get the Bestway salt system and understand that it will be barely adequate, may need longer runtime, and will likely only last 1 year.

Unless you're going for a total plumbing upgrade, then sure go all in with an aquatrol. But total plumbing upgrade with an aquatrol is $1500+.

An aquatrol will require custom plumbing and technically a bonding system which is a complicated retrofit to a storable pool.

I would get the Bestway salt system and understand that it will be barely adequate, may need longer runtime, and will likely only last 1 year.

Unless you're going for a total plumbing upgrade, then sure go all in with an aquatrol. But total plumbing upgrade with an aquatrol is $1500+.
Quite honestly , I really don't know what kind of "custom plumbing and complicated bonding system you are talking about. Mine is the "RJ" version which I simply connected to the pool return outlet and ran a bonding wire from the Aquatrol bonding lug to the bonding wire that is connected to the pool , pump and heater.

Quite honestly , I really don't know what kind of "custom plumbing and complicated bonding system you are talking about. Mine is the "RJ" version which I simply connected to the pool return outlet and ran a bonding wire from the Aquatrol bonding lug to the bonding wire that is connected to the pool , pump and heater.
OP is talking about a soft side pool. For those of us with traditional permanently installed AGP's the plumbing and bonding is standard yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Intex’s 2150 GPH sand filter/pump/SWG with my Intex 16’ pool, and even when I first put in the 18’ pool. Totally got my money’s worth out of it.

Don't know if you are still looking but you might want to check out Solaxx Saltron Reto Saltwater Chlorine Generator. It just hangs over the side of your pool and does a great job for our pool. You just have to make sure your salt level is correct and you should be good to go. I've used mine for 4 years now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.