I need HELP

These guys know their stuff...let me tell ya. 3 months ago my pool looked just like yours. I trusted in our local Mom and Pop also. After dumping tons of their recommended chemicals and being $200 poorer, I found TFP. I have tons of trees around my pool and I bought a jandy leaf that attaches to your hose. BLINDLY, I was able to suck up tons of leaves and muck. I just kept doing it over and over. I did everything TFB said in within a week and a half my pool was and still is crystal clear. TEST KIT, TEST KIT, TEST KIT...AND LOTS OF PATIENCE! Now, each morning it takes me 10 mins to run out, test my water, possibly add 20 oz or muric acid every couple of weeks and half gal of bleach each day. I'm golden! Just waiting for temp to warm so I can jump in! Oh I did go to the pool store the other day...they asked if I needed my water tested and they have a sale on their chlorine tabs....I said no thanks, just need to replace my broken skimmer basket. $10. With that I smiled, walked out and thought...I GOT THIS!

My pool looked like this or worse at one time. Best ideas have already been stated: order the kit, go buy a lot of bleach (at least 30-40 bottles if you get a good deal), and start reading TFP as much as possible (focus on the SLAM process). The biggest regret I had with my experience is that I did not have enough bleach on hand so I felt like I had to keep running out. Start the process when you are available to check the water often. Good luck. I promise this works. My pool is crystal clear now thanks to the TFP method.

Running pump times

Mod Edit: Threads merged. Keep your entire story together....it will help us give you the best advice. --Smykowski

While I am in the process of getting the swamp thing cleaned up. I have a question, how long/often do you run your pump? Ever since I've had my pool, 3 years, I have ran it 24/7. Is this good, bad or not matter? Thanks

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

Re: Running pump times

24/7 while SLAMing, but once it's clean, the answer is "enough to keep the pool sparkling." I'd start with 12 hours a day. If that works back it off to 10. If that works back it off to 8. When it starts looking dull, bump it up a bit. Basically, trial and error bracketing until you find the least amount of time it's running while still keeping it clear.

Well seems a buddy of mine who works on pools and was bringing me some chlorine and algae killer dumped 4 gallons of Chlorine is my pool last night when he stopped by and some algae stuff, this morning my pool looks like this. Also I'm posting some pictures of the leaves I've gotten out with about 3 hours total of use a rake and vacuuming. Last picture is my gauge, off then on. I'm guessing I need a new one. By him dumping the chlorine in the pool hurt or help my plans? Thanks
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399491416124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399491416124.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399491437996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399491437996.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399491450898.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399491450898.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 97

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is gauge in on position
a7agy8e4.jpg

Yes, that gauge is toast. Is that a Hayward filter? Most filter gauges take 1/4" NPT fittings, you just have to measure the diameter of the gauge. Looks like yours is a center back mount gauge.

As for what he put in, depends. What's your CYA level? Was it 8.25%, 10%, or 12.5% bleach? Might have been ok, might have taken your FC too high. What kind of algaecide was it? If it was a Polyquat 60 algaecide, probably didn't do much of anything. If it was something with metals in it, then you didn't want that in your pool. If you're going to take control of your pool, you probably need to ask that he not put anything in it without your ok first.

Please put your equipment in your signature, it'll help us give you advice.

Yes, that gauge is toast. Is that a Hayward filter? Most filter gauges take 1/4" NPT fittings, you just have to measure the diameter of the gauge. Looks like yours is a center back mount gauge.

As for what he put in, depends. What's your CYA level? Was it 8.25%, 10%, or 12.5% bleach? Might have been ok, might have taken your FC too high. What kind of algaecide was it? If it was a Polyquat 60 algaecide, probably didn't do much of anything. If it was something with metals in it, then you didn't want that in your pool. If you're going to take control of your pool, you probably need to ask that he not put anything in it without your ok first.

Please put your equipment in your signature, it'll help us give you advice.

This is what he put in it
ezy4azu5.jpg
and a half a bottle of inhibit back up I had. I can't answer the CYA level don't have a test kit yet. All I have are the stripes and I didn't test yesterday, I was mainly cleaning. I just tested with stripes and pH is 8.4, FC 0, TA 180, Stabilizer is 30-50

4 gallons of 12.5% would have raised your FC by 28. While it's way too much at a time, because the pool is so green, the numbers will come down to a safe range fairly quickly.

Doesn't look like there's any metals in the Backup. Algaecide does its best work in preventing algae, not killing it, so at worst, it was mostly a waste of the bottle.

So after 3 or 4 hours of raking, brushing, and vacuuming, what do I need to do next? Do I go ahead and start SLAM? My wife is going to kill me if I don't get this started soon. Also I have had my SWG off the last couple of days because I knew it wasn't doing anything anyway (not sure it's working properly). While I was testing with the stripes I tested the salt too, my compupool was showing less than 2500 ppm, according to the salt stripes it's right at 4000 ppm. I'm not to sure either of them are right.

So after 3 or 4 hours of raking, brushing, and vacuuming, what do I need to do next? Do I go ahead and start SLAM? My wife is going to kill me if I don't get this started soon.

Until you know what your CYA is at, you don't know what level of FC you're aiming for during the SLAM process. I'd keep the pump running, keep the leaves out, keep backflushing filter as needed and wait for that kit. Oh and READ MORE POOL SCHOOL.

Well I know it's against everyone's better judgement but I'm going to the pool store tomorrow and let them test my water and see what they recommended off those numbers. Then I am coming back and putting that info on this thread and see what you all say. Is it true that they can't test for CYA?

They will test for CYA and everything else but results are usually off a color based strip test so the accuracy of all results is not good. If they do drop based/liquid testing it's better but testing yourself is always better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.