I need help understanding how my pool operates..

Drew,

That all sounds correct, except the spa should not be draining at all..

Here is a test #1 I would like you to try..
1. Put the system into the Spa mode using the automation (No heater is necessary)
2. Set the handle of the middle valve so that it points away from the house

In theory, the IFCS should be off, and the water will be sucked out of the spa drain and return to the spa jets.. There should not be any loss at all..

Run that test and tell me what happens..

Here is test #2
1. Put the system into the Pool mode using the automation
2. Keep the IFCS off just like the first test.

In theory, the IFCS will be off, and the water will be sucked from the pool and returned to the pool. The question is will the spa drain, stay the same, or will it overflow into the pool?

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R

Drew,

That all sounds correct, except the spa should not be draining at all..

Here is a test #1 I would like you to try..
1. Put the system into the Spa mode using the automation (No heater is necessary)
2. Set the handle of the middle valve so that it points away from the house

In theory, the IFCS should be off, and the water will be sucked out of the spa drain and return to the spa jets.. There should not be any loss at all..

Run that test and tell me what happens..

Here is test #2
1. Put the system into the Pool mode using the automation
2. Keep the IFCS off just like the first test.

In theory, the IFCS will be off, and the water will be sucked from the pool and returned to the pool. The question is will the spa drain, stay the same, or will it overflow into the pool?

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R

1. Using the automation I put it in pool mode wieth the IFCS off. Spa level did not go down and water continued to waterfall into pool. No water was coming out of the pool returns. I then flipped the IFCS valve 180 and nothing changed. I then returned the IFCS valve to away from the house.

2. This is the mode I've been running most of the day. The pool returns have a strong flow but water still seems to be flowing from the spa and into the pool. The water level definitely hasn't dropped in the spa. The only way I was able to get the spa level to drop is leaving everything else in pool mode but flipping the automated valve closest to the pump.

The water level with the automation in “pool” mode and irrespective of which way the middle manual valve is.

ig3Omcv.jpeg

From “pool” mode I flipped only this valve.

X2okqgL.jpeg

Water in spa is slowly draining. Would be faster but it’s being refilled by the pool. This also doesn’t seem to be effected by the position of the IFCS valve

6AzJQqS.jpeg

Drew,

OK.. let's back up because both or us are not on the same page.. I'm old a slow... :mrgreen:

In Test #1 you were supposed to be in the Spa mode, but your say you were in the Pool mode. :scratch:

In Test #2 you were supposed to be in the Pool mode, which I assume your were, but then you say "The pool returns have a strong flow but water still seems to be flowing from the spa and into the pool" Water is supposed to be flowing FROM the Spa and INTO the pool.. That is how it should work..

For a moment, let's forget everything but this one issue.. Why is your pool water flowing into the Spa?? That can only happen if the Pool water is higher than the spa spillover, which it should never be... Do you have an autofill system?? Do you have to add water to your pool or does it automatically do it?

I suggest that you drain enough water so that the water level in the pool is right about the middle of your Skimmer's mouth. It should be an inch or more below the spa spillover..

Once we get the water level to where it should be, we can continue on with trying to get everything running.

After we get your pool water level set, we will need to make sure which Intake pipe goes to the spa, and which pipe goes to the pool We need to set the valve correctly and not be flipping any valves using the little switch on the actuator.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bperry
Drew,

OK.. let's back up because both or us are not on the same page.. I'm old a slow... :mrgreen:

In Test #1 you were supposed to be in the Spa mode, but your say you were in the Pool mode. :scratch:

In Test #2 you were supposed to be in the Pool mode, which I assume your were, but then you say "The pool returns have a strong flow but water still seems to be flowing from the spa and into the pool" Water is supposed to be flowing FROM the Spa and INTO the pool.. That is how it should work..

For a moment, let's forget everything but this one issue.. Why is your pool water flowing into the Spa?? That can only happen if the Pool water is higher than the spa spillover, which it should never be... Do you have an autofill system?? Do you have to add water to your pool or does it automatically do it?

I suggest that you drain enough water so that the water level in the pool is right about the middle of your Skimmer's mouth. It should be an inch or more below the spa spillover..

Once we get the water level to where it should be, we can continue on with trying to get everything running.

After we get your pool water level set, we will need to make sure which Intake pipe goes to the spa, and which pipe goes to the pool We need to set the valve correctly and not be flipping any valves using the little switch on the actuator.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I apologize for my poor explanations making things more difficult than they should be. I meant to say Spa mode in #1. I pointed that out in #2 because I was wondering where it's draining from. But I see now that it was behaving normally. The only time I've seen water flow from the pool and into the spa was in that last set of photos I posted when I moved that valve next to the pump.

I have an autifill that looks like a toilet float valve. Other than the drain and refill I have not had to add any water. I will have to look into how to adjust the level it is auto filling. I can disable it for now though.

The water is currently about 4” about the mouth of the skimmer.

GB7up0Q.jpeg

Last edited:
Drew,

You are doing great, it is just hard in general to troubleshoot anything over the Internet. :mrgreen:

Also, everyone troubleshoots differently.. I am a plodder... I like to test one thing, see the results, and the move on to the next thing. Changing too many things at the same time causes my head to hurt... :)

Your water level water level appears to be close to the middle of the skimmer's mouth, so I am kind of puzzled as to why the water would flow into the spa.. Lower it until the water is about one inch below the spa spillover.. But make sure it does not go too low as the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.