I need help trying to understand how a timer is going to work with my pump

Stylez78

Apr 16, 2023
Long Island, NY
So I have been mapping out everything trying to understand all the things I am going to need to get this pool up and running once installed. When I keep getting to the 24hr timer I don't get how it will work with my pump or if I really need it at all.

My pump is an AquaPro 2hp dual speed pump (kind of regret this now after I read more on how the switch works). The manual says when you go from off to on it goes into high mode, then you have to flip the switch a 2nd time to get to the low mode. So I assume how the timer works is that it cuts power to the outlet and then when it hits the on time power comes to the outlet and as long as my pump switch is manually set to "on" it will run in either low or high mode I guess based on whatever mode it was when the power was cut off?

I'm still going to have to fiddle with the pump like if I add chlorine kick it to high then kick it back to low if i want it to run longer through the day. So if I have to fiddle with this pump anyhow, is there any real benefit to having a timer? Would it be mainly incase I forget to turn it on or I go away for a week stuff like that?

Also a 2nd part to this timer question. I have seen they have 240v and 120v Intermatic timers and I know my pump says it is 10.5amps on high 3.5 amps on low with a peak draw of 14a. Not sure which type of timer I would need in that situation. I do not have a SWG system yet but might get one next year so trying to take that into consideration as well when planning on what timer to use or if I need one at all. Thanks!

You don’t need to run the pump on high to add liquid chlorine. Just add it slowly in front of a running return & brush the area like normal.
High speed is really only needed for manually vacuuming & backwashing.
You need a timer that is appropriate amperage & voltage for your pump.
If you’re pump is 220v then you need a 220v timer.
If your pump is 110v then you need a 110v timer.
The timer’s amperage rating should exceed that of the highest amperage of your pump.
Most swg’s can run on 110v or 220v (you may need to add/remove a jumper so it can run on the same voltage as your pump & you do need a timer to ensure your swg never runs when your pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.