I need help ! Green pool

If I can add to the advice,

Cloudy blue means that all or most of the algae is dead algae. Algae is a very small organism that takes time to filter out. It also can clog your filter as it clears up. It will take another few days to a week to have the water start getting really clear. I would backwash or clean your filter now, (let us know if you do not know how), keep the chlorine level at about 3-5 ppm and then add stabilizer (also called saya or conditioner) to get to 30-40 ppm - instructions are right on the container. Add the stabilizer to the skimmer and do not backwash for at least three days, preferably a week, after that. Keep an eye on your ph and alkalinity levels and you will have a clean, comfortable, swimmable pool.

Treatment of the pool with bleach or liquid chlorine rather than other forms of chlorine can seem like more work (you add it every other day or so) but in the long run it keeps your pool in better shape because it does not add other chemicals to the pool that can build up over time and cause problems down the road. Read the forum occasionally and reread the stickies and over time , it comes easy.

Good work so far. Now brush, brush, brush! Even though you can't see the bottom yet, put a brush down there and push it around. You want to loosen what algae are stuck to the bottom and sides, get them in the water and filtered out.

Are you using skimmer socks? No? Buy some at the pool store and put one inside your skimmer. They catch a huge amount of algae which would otherwise gunk up your filter medium.

Good work! You are well on your way to a clear, clean, sparkling pool! :)

The skimmer socks are a fantastic idea, just be sure to try to keep them as clean as possible. We use the socks all the time and they really keep the pool a lot cleaner.

About adding the CYA, the general rule is to figure out how much you need and then add HALF of that amount! Remember that it can take up to a week for it to completely dissolve and register when testing. You can always add more later if you need to do so. Also, this is the one chemical that is difficult to reduce if you add too much! :evil:

Good luck!

Joyce

I just wanted to let you guys know that my pool is still sparkling and to say thanks a bunch !
4_20_08pool-02.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.