I need help BIG TIME... FRUSTRATED

CC is your bad chlorine. You don't want that. When you shock your pool <bring chlorine up to 18> it will distroy the bad CC.

You never want the CC over .5. Anything over that and you should shock the pool. To shock, you must hold it at shock level until:

Your pool loses less than 1 FC over night.
Your CC's are less than .5.
Your pool sparkles!

Read Pool School again. It won't hurt ya. You will get it! 8)

Ok that makes more sense to me... I didn't understand where you were getting the 18 from. I added the clorox and am hoping for better numbers. I know I read it somewhere but I can't find it right now.... Is my pool safe for my kids to swim or do I need to bring up the FC first? I am going to continue reading and reading and reading and I get this........ I better be a good chemist by the end of summer. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Jamier said:
Ok that makes more sense to me... I didn't understand where you were getting the 18 from. I added the clorox and am hoping for better numbers. I know I read it somewhere but I can't find it right now.... Is my pool safe for my kids to swim or do I need to bring up the FC first? I am going to continue reading and reading and reading and I get this........ I better be a good chemist by the end of summer. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Hi,

The shock level of 18 is coming from the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link in my sig) based on your CYA of 45.

I suggest you do not use the pool until you have completed shocking (see Casey's post for the three criteria) and the shock level is starting to drop.

Casey said:
CC is your bad chlorine. You don't want that. When you shock your pool <bring chlorine up to 18> it will distroy the bad CC.

You never want the CC over .5. Anything over that and you should shock the pool. To shock, you must hold it at shock level until:

Your pool sparkles!

Read Pool School again. It won't hurt ya. You will get it! 8)

This is the criteria:
Your pool sparkles!

Gosh you must think I am a total idiot. I'm sorry Casey I did see your post but I didn't look at your name so I thought they meant there was a whole article about it. I promise I will catch on!!

Jamier said:
Gosh you must think I am a total idiot. I'm sorry Casey I did see your post but I didn't look at your name so I thought they meant there was a whole article about it. I promise I will catch on!!
:lol: You're doing fine! It is a lot to try to learn about forums and pools, too!

Keep asking your questions. We are here to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After reading pool school, yes, shock again, and think of shocking as not a one-time adding of chlorine, but a couple-of-days process which entails an initial bringing up of FC to shock levels and then testing as often as you feel comfortable (every few hours) and keep adding chlorine to bring it to the specified shock level until it stays relatively steady overnight and you have no CC.

Once you get a steady shock level of chlorine to maintain overnight with less than 1 fc lost, and you have a zero CC, you have killed all the bad critters in your pool and can address other issues after that.

Jamier said:

:lol:

You are fine because you're making a solid effort to *get it*. I think we've seen a couple posters float around here and do nothing to help themselves even after telling them to read pool school. :shock:

We can see you're trying! Don't worry! Keep reading pool school and SHOCKING your pool! :whip:

Back with another question or two.....

I am checking and shocking every couple of hours. I am determined to get my levels straightened out. Should I be backwashing at all yet? Also, since I have been shocking there is white stuff floating on the top of the pool. I am assuming that it is whatever the shocking is killing? I am able to scoop this stuff out of the pool. I wanted to make sure first that it isn't something from the shocking that is causing this and maybe I should leave it in there??

I am really liking the results I am starting to get. Aside from the white stuff floating on the top the water is crystal clear!!

I think I am about ready to have a chlorine nervous breakdown. I have been testing and shocking all day. I have been testing everyone couple of hours. My combined chlorine has been 1.5 all day. My FC jumped in the last couple of hours to 11. CYA is 35. I have checked this 3 times in the last hours because my FC has been no where near that number all day. When I look at the chart it is still telling me to add more bleach. Do I still keep adding? Why hasn't my CC dropped?

Jamier said:
I think I am about ready to have a chlorine nervous breakdown. I have been testing and shocking all day. I have been testing everyone couple of hours. My combined chlorine has been 1.5 all day. My FC jumped in the last couple of hours to 11. CYA is 35. I have checked this 3 times in the last hours because my FC has been no where near that number all day. When I look at the chart it is still telling me to add more bleach. Do I still keep adding? Why hasn't my CC dropped?
Sounds like you have had a breakthrough since your FC jumped to 11. Your CC has dropped from 3.5 to the 1.5.

Yes, continue to maintain shock level of 15.

You'll get the pool cleared soon. Get a bottle of POP (Pool Owner Patience) to help you thru..... :cheers:

I just joined the forum today but hubby and I have been reading through the threads for about 2 weeks now as we have been "pool stored" to death for the past 6 years. We have a game plan for the BBB switch, just waiting on our test kit to arrive to see if we really need to drain half the water our of our pool to get the CYA down. This thread was pretty helpful in preparing us for converting.

Looking forward to "diving" in!

Laurey

Back again for any help or suggestions:

FC 16
CC .5
CYA 40
ALK 150
PH 7.2

My FC is 16 and my shock level is 16 so therefor it is telling me to stop shocking. I am still showing .5 in CC. Not sure what to do or what my next step should be? I just can't seem to get rid of that CC. Any help is greatly appreciated........ Thank you!!

Ok... I did my overnight test...

Last night my results were:
FC 15.5
CC .5

5:30 am
FC 14.0
CC .5

The FC test was so close when I was adding drops

Results at 9:00 am

FC 13
CC .5
PH 7.2 ALD 140
CYA 40
CH 200

Being that my FC results were so close am I ok or should I still keep shocking?? Adjust PH yet?
Thanks again for all the help. I think I am finally catching on to all of this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.