I might have to repair my own gunite pool

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a gunite pool and spillover spa. Two years ago, I had a big chunk of gunite fall off the stairs in the spa. I’ve been trying since then to get someone to fix it.

With the pool boom in my area, all the pool contractors are doing big jobs and are not interested in my small repair.

So I really have no choice but to try this myself. I will use an air chisel to chip out old gunite then I’ll reapply.

Has anyone done this? What exactly is “gunite”? And who supplies it?

Gunite is the name of a process of applying cement, the spraying "by gun" of dry cement and water at the same time. It would require equipment and knowledge in proper application - not a DIY kind of thing. If it's a big or thick project, might be best to wait on gunite contractor.

Side comment, whey they were shooting my gunite pool, they let the new guy try it. Luckily the guys knew what was going to happen and were quick to shut it down / control the hose.

Typical process for replacement of “big chunk of Gunite“:

remove any loose product insuring surface is rough for new product application

core drill for rebar and epoxy in place for structural cage

hydraulic cement mix in place of Shotcret/Gunite hand packed and formed with a 45 at the edge of step from vertical to horizontal to ensure proper thickness of plaster on the radius

So gunite refers to the method of application rather than the material? What is the actual material? Hydraulic cement?

I live in Toronto. There are literally two companies doing gunite repairs and there are a *lot* of pools. I had my repair booked for last fall, got delayed to this spring. Now they are telling me August.

A friend of mine had a fire which melted his pool cover and it took him 18 months to get a new cover. It’s nuts here.

Post pics of the damaged areas so we can understand your situation better.

Your structural shell is composed of reinforced concrete (concrete + steel rebar). Concrete is composed of cement, aggregate (rock/sand) and water. Gunite refers to a specific type of concrete which is mixed on-site and “shot” in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.