I melted my PUMP!!!!....

K...so i am trying to save myself some money but apparently i am going to be spending more than usual come spring because of my stupidity. Somehow turned on a timer back at the pool equipment and the pump has been kicking on and running with no water for the past week. I noticed a humming coming from the pool equipment. When i walked up a saw the pump lid and pump casing to be melted.I think the motor might be done and i might need a new pump. My pool is currently winterized... Can i wait till spring to fix? Is the motor possibly salvageable?

Yes, it can wait until spring. You will want to start on it fairly early in the spring, in case there are delays, but we are still taking March at the earliest.

The motor is very likely to still be fine. There is a small chance the rest of the pump is still usable, depending on just how badly melted it is. If the pump strainer basket lid comes off and goes back on again and looks like it still seals you have been very lucky and chances are good the pump still works. Otherwise you are looking at either replacing either the wet end or the entire pump.

Good luck, but the motor might be fried, too. Enough heat to do the damage you described is probably enough to fry the motor. I had a problem this year with low water flow/volume due to a small suction leak and fried the motor. Didn't do any damage to the pump, though.

You can always take the motor to a good local pump place (like Virginia Pump here in my area) and have them check it out.

Sounds like a good project for the off season so that you're ready to go in the spring. April's less than 5 month's away!

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.