I may make an enemy but...

Rangeball said:
heatmisr said:
My only vac to waste option is to unhook the return from the pool and let it spill on the ground.

What about unhooking your pump from your filter? Doing the above doesn't bypass the filter.

Has anyone else ever done this with a cartridge filter? Sounds like you would lose quite a bit of water which would throw your CYA levels off.

This is essential what vaccuming to waste is- bypassing the filter and getting rid of water and gunk. If you have a lot of gunk to clear, you can lose a bunch of water, as well as dilluting certain chemicals like you noted.

Fortunately vaccuming isn't a commonly needed procedure, just when there's big problems. I did a bit when I opened, and haven't had to since.

Actually, I have to vacuum at least once every week. Lots of pollen, dust, etc. I have a cart filter, and used to vacuum straight into the strainer basket. Now that I use skimmer socks, I'm amazed at how much Crud they catch when I vacuum.

I am going to have to say that Michael's method WILL work and will work quickly. The only two cautions I have about it are if you have a vinyl pool it would be very easy to bring the chlorine levels up way too high and risk possible liner bleaching and thosw with cartridge filters cannot easily vacuum to waste so the process becomes MUCH more involved for them. I often take a similar approach with some of my cusomters that do not want to do any type of water testing besides what we do in the store to get their pools clear quickly if they have plaster or fiberglass pools and sand filters.

Thank you krcossin & Pool Addict

KurtV - I 100% agree with your comments & I also advocate
that everyone should learn all about proper water chemistry.
I've always been a firm believer that you should fix the problem
fast then polish it to perfection. I could have posted a thread
that explained everything in minute details and had all the
newcomers heads spinning. Remember - This is posted in the "Just
getting started thread". Dont worry...I'm a perfectionist too,
but all the newbies need to start somewhere.

Hi Wolfmarsh - Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

Hi JasonLion - Yes I totally agree...test, test and more testing.
If you have a cartridge filter the poor mans way is to take off
the lid of the cartridge housing and let it flow out of the top. and
Plugging the return with plasticine. Otherwise you can get a 3 way
valve between the pump and filter to direct the water flow out. I
did write this as a quick fix...people want to see instant results.

duraligh - So True!

Rangeball - Yes it is ;)

SeanB - No problem mate!

To everyone that is worried that this method will
throw your chemicals out of whack. They probably
already are...We are talking abour a green pool.

Backglass - Yes I did post this on one other forum...and
traffic to my site wont hurt! But helping newcomers is my
main priority.

Chem Geek - Yes...I whole Heartedly Agree! Great Post!

If a pool owner has let their pool go green...they obviously
have little knowledge or they are lazy. I provided this
information for these people. Because there are a lot of them.

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

P.S The reason I used the title like that is because I am
fairly new to this forum but not new to the industry. I didnt
want to tread on any toes or break any forum rules..I hope you
all understand.

Hey everyone! :)

Just want y'all to know that what Michael says does work! I had to perform a very similar procedure last week on one of the pools we replumbed - it had been out of service so long that the water was near 'peasoup' We were out 2 days in a row adding cl to get it up to ~ 25 ppm to a pool we weren't even positive had a bottom :wink: . The cl did change the color (colour), but the home owner was impatient, so we added some floc and the results were as Michael described. It took us another 2 days of vacing and shocking to get the pool 'all but' clear. -- The method works for either those who don't know (or care) about their chemistry - or for people who do know, but don't have the time to do it properly. It's a 'quick and dirty' way to clear an algae filled pool! As such, it's not the recommended way of doing things here - however is a quick, and possibly temporary, fix.
I fully agree that KNOWING your pool water chem levels is KEY to maintaning it, but if all you want to do is 'put out the flash fires' - this will take care of the first one.

I'm going to edit this and add some advice for bypassing filters in an hour, after I eat! See Y'All soon! :-D

Easier than editing:

If you have a separate pump and filter which doesn't have a multiport -

Remove the filter element, if possible, and open the drain plug - attach a hose to it if you don't want to flood the filter pad area. Put plugs in any return ports, if you don't have a valve to kill the returns. Vacuum through the, now empty, filter.

Michael! welcome here!!! :party: I TRIED to send you a pm saying as much last night, but see that it didn't go through :?
What I'd said was to 'hang in' here and learn what we advocate, all the while sharing your vast knowledge with the folks here. I believe that you'll be a valuable asset to this forum! (and you may well learn some things that will help you in your business!!) It always makes me happy to see other 'pool dudes' that are willing to spend their free time finding out new or 'better' ways to serve our customers!! :super:

As a note to the pool owners out there:
-- YOU ARE NOT THE SAME AS MY CUSTOMERS -- you care about your pool, you've come here - most of mine won't even take 30 seconds a week to do a 'dip strip' test of their $20,000 investment :shock: :shock: :shock: ! You want to know how and what to do for your pool, my customers just want to swim and think that they don't have to do anything to enable that to happen :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.