I know,I know.. - vinyl pool liner replacement

May 1, 2016
Marlboro
7 year old inground pool. Liner is faded and worn. (seems premature but who knows).

Need a replacement and getting so many conflicting stories.

* worth getting a thinker liner than 28 M?
* some contractors asking if I have a template? (I have no idea what that is)
* pricing about 6-8k? Seems reasonable?
* This one was very faded very quickly - one guy telling e its the chlorine level (saltwater pool) I have a maintenance guy - is that possible?
* Is this a good time to replace the light while the pool is drained?

I hate knowing zero about this thing.

Given that your pool is 7 years old, it's indeed a tad early for the liner to be so faded and worn, although it's not unheard of. Generally, a liner should last around 10 years, give or take, depending on the care and chemistry. The premature fading you've experienced might indeed be attributed to chlorine, especially if there wasn't an adequate level of CYA in the pool to protect the chlorine from being overly aggressive. However, it's challenging to definitively attribute the fading to this without a consistent record of long-term test results. I can't stress enough the importance of understanding and maintaining your pool's chemistry. It's quite possible that your pool maintenance service might have missed the mark on a few things.

As for your questions:

Thickness of the Liner: There's often a debate on this, but typically, the difference in durability between a 28 mil liner and a thicker one might not be significant enough to justify the price difference. However, thicker liners might feel slightly more robust underfoot.

Template: When your pool was initially built, the installers would have taken numerous measurements to ensure the liner fit precisely. These measurements were then sent to the manufacturer to create a custom-fit liner. If you have these measurements, it can save a lot of time for the new installers and reduce the risk of potential sizing issues. If you're unaware of where these might be, try reaching out to the original installer or checking if you know the brand of your liner. They may have a record of these measurements.

Pricing: $6-8k doesn't sound unreasonable, but I always recommend getting multiple quotes to ensure you're getting a fair price.

Chlorine Level: Fading can indeed result from high chlorine levels, especially in saltwater pools without adequate CYA protection. It might be time to reconsider your maintenance routine or service.

Replacing the Light: Absolutely! If you're draining the pool to replace the liner, it's an excellent opportunity to address any other replacements or upgrades, including the pool light. It's far easier and often less expensive to do it all at once.

In the end, remember that understanding and maintaining your pool's chemistry is crucial. By taking a proactive approach to your pool care, you can extend the life of your liner and other equipment. Best of luck with your pool renovations!

Reactions: Bperry
Given that your pool is 7 years old, it's indeed a tad early for the liner to be so faded and worn, although it's not unheard of. Generally, a liner should last around 10 years, give or take, depending on the care and chemistry. The premature fading you've experienced might indeed be attributed to chlorine, especially if there wasn't an adequate level of CYA in the pool to protect the chlorine from being overly aggressive. However, it's challenging to definitively attribute the fading to this without a consistent record of long-term test results. I can't stress enough the importance of understanding and maintaining your pool's chemistry. It's quite possible that your pool maintenance service might have missed the mark on a few things.

As for your questions:

Thickness of the Liner: There's often a debate on this, but typically, the difference in durability between a 28 mil liner and a thicker one might not be significant enough to justify the price difference. However, thicker liners might feel slightly more robust underfoot.

Template: When your pool was initially built, the installers would have taken numerous measurements to ensure the liner fit precisely. These measurements were then sent to the manufacturer to create a custom-fit liner. If you have these measurements, it can save a lot of time for the new installers and reduce the risk of potential sizing issues. If you're unaware of where these might be, try reaching out to the original installer or checking if you know the brand of your liner. They may have a record of these measurements.

Pricing: $6-8k doesn't sound unreasonable, but I always recommend getting multiple quotes to ensure you're getting a fair price.

Chlorine Level: Fading can indeed result from high chlorine levels, especially in saltwater pools without adequate CYA protection. It might be time to reconsider your maintenance routine or service.

Replacing the Light: Absolutely! If you're draining the pool to replace the liner, it's an excellent opportunity to address any other replacements or upgrades, including the pool light. It's far easier and often less expensive to do it all at once.

In the end, remember that understanding and maintaining your pool's chemistry is crucial. By taking a proactive approach to your pool care, you can extend the life of your liner and other equipment. Best of luck with your pool renovations!
Thanks - thoughtful response. I'll look for some light options and call the installer....maybe they have a template saved.......and I agree - it feels early to replace....

One thing you may want to consider is the base color of the vinyl liner. My first liner had the design printed on a white vinyl. When the liner faded, it faded to white. My second liner had a blue base. When it faded, it faded to blue.

Reactions: Lanzz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.