I just want to swim!!!!

KKimmy I guess until you have pool ready for relaxation..... you can relax floating down the Illinois River by canoe. It will be just a matter of time and that big inground pool will be sparkling clear.

The river has had a good water summer so far! I've been down that thing numerous times. I haven't floated this year yet but plan on it before summer is gone. The rain has made trips to river few and far between.

Look at that color difference! WOW! You must be hitting your SLAM good and hard!

Now I am going to shoot you a link about adding DE to your sand filter. If you do go this way you will need to add it when you are going to be out there or around the house where you can check it often.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I add 1/4 cup at a time until I get the gauge to go up 1 psi. Some people it takes 1/4 cup some 2 cups so..........you can see why you need to watch it.

Once you get it to go up 1 psi check it every 30 mins. or so. Once it starts to work the pressure can rise fast and you will need to backwash it out.

What this does is help get the tiny stuff out of your water faster.

Keep up the SLAM at the same time.

Kim

If you still have those socks with CYA in the pool, you may want to pull them out. You already measured CYA at 30 in an earlier post - you're not trying to go higher than that during the SLAM, are you? Also, keep in mind that the measurement of CYA often lags by a few days, meaning the measured level may go somewhat higher than 30 in a few days, even if you pull out the socks right now.

Since you were using pucks previously, it is likely that you already had some stabilizer in the water (trichlor tabs add CYA as well as chlorine) - so you were below 20, but not 0 either.

On page 1 you said you use pucks in your skimmer and have a floating dispenser.

Was that before TFP or are those still in the pool?

Pucks will add cya and if you use them continuously you will end up with too much cya in your water.

Just double checking! :)

1:22 pm
FC 20.5
CC .5
TA 21
CYA 40
I took the cya socks out, vacuumed and can anyone tell me if it's safe to swim? Again I'm being lazy cause I don't want to spend time researching when I could be swimming. Water is cloudy. Attaching pics & I apologize if I send doubles or triples! I'll get the hang of posting..... Eventually!

Thanksimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Deep end ladder

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you also remove the floater and the pucks from the skimmer? You're adding liquid chlorine so you don't need pucks floating in there anywhere raising your cya through the roof. I'm just double triple checking to be sure. :)

No I left them in. Remove them?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Here is your chart. IF you FC is just under SLAM level for you CYA it is safe to swim. Your PH also needs to be in range (7.2-7.8).

TFP says it is not safe to swim if you cannot see the bottom clearly. It just is not worry the danger of not being able to see someone in trouble under the water.

Kim

So am I understanding that it is safe to swim concerning sanitary but not safe to swim concerning drowning???

Think of it this way. People swim in lakes. Is your water better or worse than that? We just don't want you to chance running into something unexpected hiding down in the deep end. Could be anything. Turtle. Cinder block. Some folks have found springs and all manner of other stuff.

I took everything out of the pool that was adding cya. And told whoever wanted to swim to jump in ... I grew up swimming in ponds, lakes and rivers and still do! Well, no more ponds but I'm positive the only thing at the bottom of my pool is a main drain and maybe a pair of goggles. Thanks for concern , but sometimes being too safe can ruin your life.
Tonight I'm doing this overnight test I've heard about and then taking whatever the next step is after I read it.

- - - Updated - - -

Please take ALL Of the pucks/tablets OUT! They are adding CYA of which you have enough!

Kim

I took everything out earlier this afternoon. At this moment I'm in process of deep cleaning my filter. And tonight I'm gonna do that overnight test to see where I'm at. I'm leaving town for several days and I want to get as far as I can before handing it over to my daughter. Thank you for all advice! This site has been an AMAZING help!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would not swim in water that cloudy. You never know if something is down there, and if there is an emergency, there is no visibility.

I took everything out of the pool that was adding cya. And told whoever wanted to swim to jump in ... I grew up swimming in ponds, lakes and rivers and still do! Well, no more ponds but I'm positive the only thing at the bottom of my pool is a main drain and maybe a pair of goggles. Thanks for concern , but sometimes being too safe can ruin your life.
Tonight I'm doing this overnight test I've heard about and then taking whatever the next step is after I read it.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.