I just filled my 2300 gallon pool(12'x30"), now what do i do

Re: I just filled my 2300 gallon pool(12'x30"), now what do

Isaac-1 said:
Those kits have had the same suggested ranges for the last half century, with no regard to the relationship between CYA and Chlorine or the idea that pH ideal range may depend on type of pool construction (not all pools are plaster like they almost all were half a century ago).

I think your cloudyness was caused by the Algacide (I may have missed it, did you ever say what type it was?) if so and if it is clearing there is no need to shock, the problem is with the basic OTO chlorine test you have there is no real distiction between free and combined chlorine and it is hard to tell exact chlorine level so doing an overnight chlorine loss test (test for algae in the water) is nearly impossible. So you have some people guessing Algae and others guessing Algaecide for the cause of the cloudyness. I would say if it is clearing, go back to your standard chlorine level, and go from there, if it gets worse shock then, for shocking using the OTO test kit the best you can do is pick an orangish yellow color off the top of the color scale and maintain that, be aware that at extremely high chlorine levels the OTO test changes to an orangish brown, you don't want to get that high.

thank you, that's more clarification I needed. The water is 90% clear, so I was so confused as to why I would need to shock it. I poured in AquaChem Algaecide 50% in thinking it was for prevention and BEFORE I read this website. The water was 100% clear until I poured that in. I've added pH UP and 6% bleach since then, and the water is improving. So, with the drop test that I do have, should I aim for 5CL level or higher? I will definitely look for a better testing kit that includes all of the other levels I should be monitoring soon.

Your target Chlorine level will depend on how much CYA you have in your water (how much stabilizer you had added, accounting also for the amount of stabilized chlorine you have added). If you have not added much you will likely want to target around 2 -3 ppm for your target chlorine range, if your unsure you can take a water sample into a pool store for free/cheap testing, just don't put much faith in their CYA testing, it is one of the test that is the hardest to interprit, and also benefits from being done outdoors under sunlight with the sun to your back. (you have to judge how cloudy the water is). Also if you go to the pool store don't let them sell you anything, if you must buy something get liquid chlorine or a toy.

Isaac-1 said:
Your target Chlorine level will depend on how much CYA you have in your water (how much stabilizer you had added, accounting also for the amount of stabilized chlorine you have added). If you have not added much you will likely want to target around 2 -3 ppm for your target chlorine range, if your unsure you can take a water sample into a pool store for free/cheap testing, just don't put much faith in their CYA testing, it is one of the test that is the hardest to interprit, and also benefits from being done outdoors under sunlight with the sun to your back. (you have to judge how cloudy the water is). Also if you go to the pool store don't let them sell you anything, if you must buy something get liquid chlorine or a toy.

okay thanks!! I don't think I have added much CYA because I've only used one 3" chlorine tablet and it's still in the floater, it hasnt been an entire week since I filled the pool yet. I did add another 6oz. 6% bleach today and I'd say the water is not quite 100% but very close to it now. I'm going out shopping now so maybe I'll keep an eye out for a better test kit! Thanks for your help!!

autumnrstarr said:
I don't think I have added much CYA because I've only used one 3" chlorine tablet and it's still in the floater, it hasnt been an entire week since I filled the pool yet.
That 3" trichlor puck will add about 20 ppm cya (per poolcalculator.com and 1700 gallons). By the way I think you are overestimating your pool volume...I think intex lists it around 1700.

My thinking was that if swimming was allowed before you added any sanitizer that there was a window of opportunity for algae and/or other organics to grow. When you added chlorine and especially the algaecide I'm thinking the algae was mostly killed and the dead remains are what is clouding your water. If it were my pool I would shock to be sure but you may just need to wait for the filter to clear things up.

Someone needs to invent a cheap algae test kit!

Perhaps the experts can chime in on whether 'quat' algaecides are known to cause cloudiness by themselves when added to clean water?

linen said:
autumnrstarr said:
I don't think I have added much CYA because I've only used one 3" chlorine tablet and it's still in the floater, it hasnt been an entire week since I filled the pool yet.
That 3" trichlor puck will add about 20 ppm cya (per poolcalculator.com and 1700 gallons). By the way I think you are overestimating your pool volume...I think intex lists it around 1700.
And as JesseWV mentioned, that "Aquachem small pool sanitizer" is dichlor and a pound of that would raise you cya another 36 ppm. How much of that have you used? Our recommendation for cya is 30-50 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.