I have done something really STUPID I used a floc!

Oct 7, 2015
Adelaide, Australia
As the title says, I have done something stupid, I used floc and now the cartridge filter is clogged.

Let me start from the beginning......................

Having recently uncovered the pool for our summer I was shocked to find that the water was green. This has never happened before as the water is normally crystal clear when I uncover it after winter, and the filter still runs 8 hours a
day summer or winter. The thing that probably made me a little suspicious about what was going on under the pool cover was that there seemed to be very little water movement under the cover and into the skimmer box.

Of course once I had removed the pool cover and removed the cartridge filter which was covered in algae and ran the pump without the filter inserted, pressure was restored to normal operating pressure.

I took my water sample to the local pool shop to find out what was up, or in my case down as there was very little salt (1120 ppm), so this would acount for why there was no chlorine being produced with the salt water chlorinator.

Pool shop advised me to add 2 Kg of chlorine to the pool. This I did which cleaned up the algae overnight, but left the water very cloudy. They then advised me to add a floculent to settle the cloudiness. I did this and as they said it would, the water seemed to be clear again.

And this is where my problem has begun because I just don't seem to be able to run the the pool filter whatsoever without it clogging up within minutes and the pressure rising very quickly. I have 2 filters on the go and have soaked them both in a cleaner solution to hopefully get things going again, but no nothing seems to work.

I know I'm due to replace one of the cartridges as it is at EOL but am very loathe to put in a new cartrdge for fear of stuffing that up also. And yes I should have read more on this site to realize that floc is not that loved around here.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
John

Dont know your filter but does it have a multiport valve? Its usually not recommended to use floc, but its not the end of the world. Whenever you use floc you have to vacuum to waste. if you have a multiport valve turn it to waste if not then you have a lot of filter cleaning to do.

Felipe

If you are handy at all you may be able to cut your pipe to the filter and put in a pipe with a valve before the filter so you can vacuum to waste that way. If you share a pic of your equipment we should be able to tell you right where to cut and add.

If you cannot add the above pipe you have a lot of filter cleaning ahead of you :( It is not the end of the world and thankfully you have two so you can change them out over and over and over and over..........

So why are you going to the pool store for testing? Did you know you have a good test kit available on your side of the world? Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast. I have heard they have great customer service!

Kim:kim:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. This is my setup and yes I do have a valve on top of the pump before it enters my filter. I use it on rare occasions when I have to actually pump water out of the pool if we have had too much rain and it starts to lap the edges.

By vacuuming out to waste like that, wouldn't the water level drop extremely quickly to below the bottom of the skimmer box door? Perhaps I will have to add water to it first before vacumming?

Kim I go to the pool store for testing because I'm colour blind and have all the trouble in the world trying to match colours individually. :D

I also need to look at getting another vaccum. Currently I'm doing it by hand as the old Hayward has packed it in, but I was never really happy with the Hayward as it seemed to put the pump under so much strain and it never had the greatest of suction anyway. I would like one independant of the pump this time, but every time I look at them and then start doing the research and reading reviews etc I get put off with all the pros and cons, ah decisions decisions.........................

Cheers,
John

Pool Pump & Filter.jpg

Yes vacuuming to waste will take water out of your pool. One thing you can do to help is have the pool as full as it can be before you start and have a hose adding water as you vacuum. To get that stuff up you can vacuum to waste or clean, clean, clean your filter.

Get a robot! I LOVE my robot! I just got her a new basket liner and love her even more as now I can just throw the dirty liner in the washing machine. There are several threads on here talking about what vacuum to get. Go pocking around and see what you find. Let us know what your options are over there and we can help you dial it in.

The titrating tests used in the Taylor and ClearChoice tests do not 'match' colors. They are either color to clear or one color to another.

pH is the only color matching test. There are pH probes that are reliable with sufficient calibration.

The titrating tests used in the Taylor and ClearChoice tests do not 'match' colors. They are either color to clear or one color to another.

pH is the only color matching test. There are pH probes that are reliable with sufficient calibration.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So does the test involve counting the number of drops before it changes from one colour to another etc?

Yes I would be interested in an accurate pH probe, where do I start searching?

Cheers,
John

Yes vacuuming to waste will take water out of your pool. One thing you can do to help is have the pool as full as it can be before you start and have a hose adding water as you vacuum. To get that stuff up you can vacuum to waste or clean, clean, clean your filter.

Get a robot! I LOVE my robot! I just got her a new basket liner and love her even more as now I can just throw the dirty liner in the washing machine. There are several threads on here talking about what vacuum to get. Go pocking around and see what you find. Let us know what your options are over there and we can help you dial it in.

Hi Kim,

No I am definately over clean clean cleaning my filter, so much so that I'm thinking about going back to a sand filter with whatever media are recommended for them these days?

Yes I will top up the pool to the brim to replace the 10 or so inches I pumped out last month because it was lapping the edges. :cool:

I would dearly love to have a robot but the prices they ask for them here in Oz is outrageous? So what brand do you have Kim?

Cheers,
John

The FC, TA, and CH tests are counting drops to a change of color.

You can research pH probes available in Australia or see if a member from Australia can help. Clear Choice Labs may have a suggestion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.