I have a leak!!

Gavin Bradley

Apr 13, 2024
Spain
Hi all, hope someone can give me a quick answer.
I have a 9m x 5m in ground pool and I have been losing about 3 inches of water a day. I decided to let he water drop until it stopped, it stopped level with the bottom of the vacuum outlet pipe.So I guessed this was the problem, I capped it off and refilled but it still dropped loads but has stopped level with the bottom of the skimmers. When I took the skimmer baskets out, you can see down the outlet pipe for about 20cm, then it kicks off. Well one pipe had water still in it and the other didn't, which I thought strange, so I got a watering can, filled that skimmer back up with water, then watched it drain away again in a few minutes.Im guessing the only reason that would happen is if I have a leak on that line and it must be a pretty major leak too. I closed off all the valves at the pump to make sure the water could back up and it should just sit there but it drained away really quickly, done it several times and same happened each time. When I fill the skimmer pipe up I fill to just a over where the top of the baskets are and then just watch the water swirl and drain in about 2 minutes.
Just wondered if any experts out there agree that this is the obvious problem

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It does seem odd that water is disappearing from the skimmer when the pump is off. Sounds like you have two holes in the skimmer correct? One line (towards the rear) usually goes to the equipment pad, while the other line (the forward one towards the pool) is either capped off (not used) or goes to a main drain.

First question - which hole is it losing water? If it's the forward hole towards the pool, either the main drain has a leak or perhaps it was supposed to have a plug in it and never used. You can probably just plug it for now. If it's the rear hole (towards the equipment pad) then the suction line may have a break.

Can you confirm? Feel free to post pics as well.