I hate my pool...

Just surprised by a dead mouse in my skimmer basket. Yuck. Could this have been part of the problem?
I've had that surprise too. I'm sooooooo much happier to find that rather than the occasional live snake. I have a gopher or vole problem so the snakes are my friends but it's an ugly surprise to pull that cover and be looking at a little one sitting in there on my "Scumbug". Scumbug just happens to be the brand available at the time ;)

I haven't seen a scumbug before. I see it is good for oils ect. OK to leave in skimmer and doesn't affect chemistry? CYA levels?
As far as chlorine drop test. I use the TF 100. Fill chlorine only test tube to 10 ml. Add heaping scoop of r 0870, and swirl. Then hold R 0871 in left hand trying to apply light pressure for = drop size while swirling test tube in R hand (this did take some practice but got it down now). When it turns completely clear or cloudy (NOT PINK) I divide my drop number by .5 and this is my FC. (Sometimes I think I may be a 1 drop off because my daughter will see slight pink when I don't, so I try to make sure it has no pink before stopping). I then add the 5 drops of R 0003 and swirl. Then with same technique as with the FC start the drop count of the R 0871 again until clear, divide drops by .5 and this is my CC. Again, I get concerned that my CC may be off by a drop because I've read in a post somewhere that if the solution turns pink with in 30 sec., not enough drops were added.
So today... dumped 3 gallons in this am before work, had my daughter scrub black near auto cover edge with bleach (looks better)and put in 2 gallons. Scrubbed walls and floor with brush, my son said he couldn't vacuum because the water level was a little too low and he added 2 gallons 10% (of course he didn't add water so doing that now) and got what I could with strainer, and tested
FC 20
CC .5 -1 (I hate the CC test but am sure it wasn't higher than 1. With one drop it turned clear but within 10-15 sec started to turn pink so added another drop. No I don't have a stop watch but I'm sure it started to turn pink before 30 sec. Should I test again tonight? Will close cover tonight. I have no idea if I have gook on the under side of the auto cover but I guess I'll find out...or should I keep my cover open?

If it stays clear for more than a few seconds ... you are done with the test. Don't keep watching it for 10-30+ seconds.

And as stated above ... you multiple the # of drops by 0.5 ... you would divide by 2.

last eve
FC22
CC1
cover on, fountains off
FC 9
CC1
CYA 30
I am so disappointed. I noticed no good flow or swirl through my skimmer with my fountains off. Filter pressure with fountains on 17. With fountains off 25. Also black starting at water line in skimmer. I don't know what to do. It is going to rain today and tomorrow. I shouldn't have to leave my fountain on to have good flow. I guess I have to call someone out again.

I haven't seen a scumbug before. I see it is good for oils ect. OK to leave in skimmer and doesn't affect chemistry? CYA levels?

They just suck up tanning oil and stuff like that. An absorbent like they used for the BP spill in Louisiana :D Shouldn't affect chemistry at all. You can use them in your skimmers or let them float, mine are in my skimmers.

Post a picture of the "black" stuff if you can and then make sure you scrub it loose.

It's a really nice looking pool, don't give up on it.
You might want to post your question / problem with flow in "pumping station" : http://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/11-Pumping-Station
along with some photos of the pump, filter, valves, ... anything that would give someone a better understanding of how it's set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.