I hate DE filters

Beez said:
Did I mention I don't care for handling DE? IMO it is nasty shizzz that has its proper place down a drain.

So I imaging the idea of eating DE seems a little ridiculous to you :lol:

Granted we are not using food grade in our pools ... but pretty similar. :wink:

Beez,

All good rants need multiple vaguely related and unresolvable tangents.

JBlauert - it's a totally different type of DE at the microscopic level, which is where it matters in this case. The stuff used in food and gardening has not been treated the same way in it's preparation process as pool filter DE and has a different structure.

carlscan26 said:
JBlauert - it's a totally different type of DE at the microscopic level, which is where it matters in this case. The stuff used in food and gardening has not been treated the same way in it's preparation process as pool filter DE and has a different structure.

I understand it is different and maybe I should have been more clear for the casual reader. The pool DE is actually carcenogenic.

jblauert said:
Beez said:
Did I mention I don't care for handling DE? IMO it is nasty shizzz that has its proper place down a drain.

:) I'd give one of those shiny new dollar coins to watch you eat a spoonful of used DE from my backwash line... :mrgreen:

Beez said:
jblauert said:
Beez said:

:) I'd give one of those shiny new dollar coins to watch you eat a spoonful of used DE from my backwash line... :mrgreen:
probably be about as good as stewed nachos, MITS! :lol:

Beez said:
zea3 said:
I seem to recall someone who planned a grand experiment with his de filter...something about not opening up the filter to clean it.
When I open up my de filter to clean it, I lose only the water in the filter. A few minutes with a nozzle sprayer on a garden hose and the grids are ready to recharge. :poke: :poke: :mrgreen:
:-D That experiment continues. Happily, I can report...

So Zea, are you saying you never backwash? You breakdown instead at every backwash interval? I would have no problem with that if it was a cart, but a DE flter? Never...

My filter has a bump knob. In theory when the pressure rises, you turn off the pump & turn the knob back and forth 3 times and it "bumps" the DE off the grids. When you turn the pump back on the DE re-coats the grids with allegedly cleaner DE and the pressure should be near the clean level and you're good to go for another week. The reality is it buys me maybe an extra 30 minutes before I either bump again or stop wasting time and open up the filter.

When I have bumped and then drained the filter I find that very little of the DE actually falls off. It works a little bit better with fiberclear, but not enough to make a difference.

According to their sales video with the clear filter, it falls off...but that is also clean fiber clear in clean water. When I open my filter to clean it there is usually a layer of fiber clear stuck to the grids. It is a much thinner layer than DE leaves and it hoses off much easier than DE, so I like it better for that reason. The fiber clear is very light so I don't like recharging the filter on windy days. That stuff gets everywhere!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.