I found the leak, Now what???

Very nice work.

Those screw clamps are fine; I had them last 40+ years underground. The other clamps are preferred in engines because they are more vibration resistant and the smooth inside is kinder on soft rubber hoses in a high temp environment. Neither point is a factor in pool use with black poly. They don't appear to be stainless or very thick; I doubt they would do well underground. I also doubt you can get them as tight.

tideman said:
Here you go. The reflection obscures the view of one side but you can see the one connection really well.

photo_zps48f7d098.jpg

Yes you did this correctly. Your repair will probably last longer than you. (Unless you freeze it again).

Durk said:
Very nice work.

Those screw clamps are fine; I had them last 40+ years underground. The other clamps are preferred in engines because they are more vibration resistant and the smooth inside is kinder on soft rubber hoses in a high temp environment. Neither point is a factor in pool use with black poly. They don't appear to be stainless or very thick; I doubt they would do well underground. I also doubt you can get them as tight.

Screw clamps may very well work just fine. But the ear clamps also come in all sorts of materials, and they get VERy tight (if the correct size is used). they also come in different types, designed for different applications. .

I have seen my share of screw clamps fail, usualy the cheap ones. And I do have them in a number of places in my house, so they do indeed have their uses, such as on a Frenco fitting under a sink - where access is easy, replacement is a possibility, and pressure is minimal.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.