I finally lost my pool, completely gave up on this journey and have a few questions.

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I haven't posted in awhile but the last few times have been in regards to my nightmare journey. I won't go into a long story about it but the final nail in the coffin was when my shell floated over the winter. I learned a lot along the way including how to fiberglass, work with plumbing and test my physical and mental limits. But now that my shell is two foot out of the ground, cracked and pretty much at the end of it's life anyways it's time to say goodbye.

Now I am wondering what to do about it. I have a few options, none of which I can really afford right now but you guys can imagine how it looks. I have also been trying to keep it drained, but... a colony of toads recently took it over, a rabbit died and both are going to give me some fun to deal with this weekend.

Option one is to climb inside with an angle grinder and cut it into small sections while hoping I don't get crushed. Then have it back filled. One neat thing that also happened is due to the pressure the pool raised my entire yard up. Which means it also needed graded. I would rent a skid loader but have zero experience with them. So that's $$$.

Option two is to cut the top down a few feet, drill a bunch of holes and back fill it in. However then it has to be disclosed when you sell it, and nothing could be built on top. Not that anyone would... but it might be a bit off putting to a buyer. However this option pretty much involves some grading and a truck full of dirt.

Last option is to hire someone to remove it. I am finding however that it will cost around 10,000 to do this (I don't have that).

What do you guys think? How would you handle the situation? I appreciate the help!

Reactions: gary300
Me,

I would cut it up, but I don't think with an angle grinder. Too much dust. I would consider renting the skid steer (heck, I think I am leaning toward this solution just BECAUSE it involves renting a skid steer) and using it to pull out and break up the pool. Getting rid of it is going to be interesting unless you have a way to haul and dispose of it. I would not go into the hole. That is EXTREMELY unsafe. Just getting buried up to your chest can easily kill you. Maybe because I used to be a geotechnical engineer and worked on a lot of job sites and have seen a number of trench collapses (thankfully with nobody in them) I am picky about this, but you would not catch me in your pool cutting apart the shell without proper safety in place.

You are going 60 yard or so of clean fill. That needs to be trucked in. Then as you said, regrade, topsoil and seed (or sod)

Right now you could just punch some holes in the bottom so that it stays drained.

Reactions: Aleforge
Me,

I would cut it up, but I don't think with an angle grinder. Too much dust. I would consider renting the skid steer (heck, I think I am leaning toward this solution just BECAUSE it involves renting a skid steer) and using it to pull out and break up the pool. Getting rid of it is going to be interesting unless you have a way to haul and dispose of it. I would not go into the hole. That is EXTREMELY unsafe. Just getting buried up to your chest can easily kill you. Maybe because I used to be a geotechnical engineer and worked on a lot of job sites and have seen a number of trench collapses (thankfully with nobody in them) I am picky about this, but you would not catch me in your pool cutting apart the shell without proper safety in place.

You are going 60 yard or so of clean fill. That needs to be trucked in. Then as you said, regrade, topsoil and seed (or sod)

Right now you could just punch some holes in the bottom so that it stays drained.

I was looking at renting one but I don't know if they will rent to someone who hasn't used one before. I don't think it's very hard to "figure out" I mean.. outside a woopsie into the pool situation (lol) there isn't much that can happen in the middle of the yard to the skid steer. But regardless ya getting inside and crushed doesn't sound very fun... disposal wise I would rent a dumpster. Fill wise... that's another problem. I can't get a truck in there, I mean obviously I would have to tear down my fence. But the distance between my yard and the neighbors is pretty narrow... but THAT has to be done I just don't know how. I will punch some holes in it, I need to get the toads out first though.

We hired a landscape company in June with a skid steer to get rid of an old garden area which included a large 1980s fiberglass lily pond. The skid steer made short work of the fiberglass. The bill for the whole project, including moving large rocks to another area, getting rid of the old railway ties that served as the raised border, breaking up and hauling away the fiberglass, levelling, reseeding, was CAD$1600, but the fibreglass part would likely have been a few hundred. IMO well worth it to have a professional skid steer operator. You wouldn't know the area had been there. If you are getting estimates of $10K, get more estimates, and do some of the work yourself.

I was looking at renting one but I don't know if they will rent to someone who hasn't used one before. I don't think it's very hard to "figure out" I mean.. outside a woopsie into the pool situation (lol) there isn't much that can happen in the middle of the yard to the skid steer. But regardless ya getting inside and crushed doesn't sound very fun... disposal wise I would rent a dumpster. Fill wise... that's another problem. I can't get a truck in there, I mean obviously I would have to tear down my fence. But the distance between my yard and the neighbors is pretty narrow... but THAT has to be done I just don't know how. I will punch some holes in it, I need to get the toads out first though.

Around here (NJ) anybody can rent a skid steer. Most places will also drop them off and pick them up when done (for an additional fee) they also provide instruction on how to use them. You are not going to find one at something like a Lowe's or Home Depot rental center. You need to go to something like Herc Rentals or Rent-All

Around here (NJ) anybody can rent a skid steer. Most places will also drop them off and pick them up when done (for an additional fee) they also provide instruction on how to use them. You are not going to find one at something like a Lowe's or Home Depot rental center. You need to go to something like Herc Rentals or Rent-All

Same here, you have to either go through a training program and take a operation and safety test or you have to just hire someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.