I did something foolish

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
So! I'm back. First year closing the pool last year, first time opening this year. Of course I opened to a green pool. I was going to open 2 weeks ago, but last week was cold (with snow!).

I had to buy a plumbing part from the local pool store, and while I was there figured I would pick up some cya. The dude sold me "pro team up shield" and said it was not cya. So what is it, and does it work the same as cya (I.e. Not showing up in tests for a week)?

Debating if I should start a slam now, given that we probably don't have any cya in there now. Lots of rain water over the winter.

Next time I will be more prepared and just buy the cya ahead of time.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean "Proteam UV Shield". If that's the case, it's 100% cyanuric acid (CYA). You can use Pool Math to figure out how much CYA you have by how much you added.

P.S. It should show up on the test in about 2 days after it's fully dissolved.

How did you add it?

I assume you mean "Proteam UV Shield".

Yes. THANKS AUTOCORRECT.

I added the whole thing to a thick sock which I then put in one of my skimmers. I'm certain it's not nearly enough; the bottle said to use 1 lb/3000 gallons and I just got the small one.

It is a beautiful, warm, nearly cloudless day here so I'll probably wait until tonight to add the bleach. I hate to waste it!

TC: 8.5 / FC: 8.5
TA: 80
CH: 200
PH: 8.5+++++++ :O
CYA: 20ish

Comparison shots from yesterday and just now (post chemical dump)
58263649d1351bd675896cd78371a4d6.jpg

15cbd8a423ba2c4ac291e2d84b06dc85.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.