I can't remove locking clip over small end of plastic collector clamp assembly on Heliocol

jayjayaz

Oct 25, 2012
Southern CA
Does anyone know how to remove the locking clip over small end of plastic collector clamp assembly for a 2012, Heliocol solar system?

Thank you, I am trying to determine why it's leaking.

Attachments

• 70423936768__63ED2A41-2833-48EE-B829-2829F69DFDEB.jpeg
    70423936768__63ED2A41-2833-48EE-B829-2829F69DFDEB.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 22
Update, I broke the locking clip while removing the clip. I noticed the old gasket was weathered and shrunk a bit, so I added pool silicone lube and replaced it with a new one. New question, I used the old clip without a locking clip and it now seems to not leak. Is the locking clip a required piece of equipment? I will test it further tomorrow when sun comes out. Thanks in advance

Sounds like you figured out how to get the "clip" off! 😳

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.28.57 PM.png

Heliocol calls that part the Latch. They don't seem to have a separate name for each half of it. Are you saying you broke "B" off of "A"?

If so, I wouldn't leave it like that. The Latch (A) is held onto the Panel Clamp with friction. It's doing all the work of maintaining the necessary pressure on the o-ring to complete the seal. So you're good-to-go in terms of fixing the leak. But it's part "B" that is keeping the Latch from popping off.

Don't forget, the entire array and all its components are under constantly changing temperatures, 24/7, all year long: expanding and contracting and sliding around the roof. And also that, if you've got an average size array up there, it's probably getting around 40GPM of flow. Which means, if that Latch pops off and the joint opens up, it'd only take about 5 hours to drain your entire pool onto your roof. Of course, that would only happen if your pump didn't starve and burn itself up first, when the water level drops below the skimmer mouth, which could happen in as little as 15 minutes or less!

So either replace the entire Latch, or find some other way to secure the Latch (A) in place. I'm thinking a length of stainless steel wire could do the trick. Don't use a zip tie, it'll rot and break with all that UV up there, and won't last long.

The Latch (A) is held onto the Panel Clamp with friction. It's doing all the work of maintaining the necessary pressure on the o-ring to complete the seal
Fyi, latch a does have a stub that fits into a detent on the clamp in addition to friction.
Screenshot_20230426-215432_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
That being said, as i recall the OP is in San Diego and solar pool supply in lakeside stocks a 2 pack of the latch a/b set for ~$10

Reactions: Dirk
Fyi, latch a does have a stub that fits into a detent on the clamp in addition to friction.
View attachment 486444
That being said, as i recall the OP is in San Diego and solar pool supply in lakeside stocks a 2 pack of the latch a/b set for ~$10
I do recall it kind'a feels like there is a catch when it's fully slid on, but it's a little "mushy," it's not a particularly positive "click" into place. Regardless, it's still being held in place only by friction. Getting something to work is not the same as ensuring it's going to stay working under all conditions to which it may be subjected in the future, in this case rather harsh conditions: hot, cold, wet, wind, expansion, contraction, UV, dirt, animal intervention, etc, etc.

More to the point, Heliocol developed the extra locking mechanism for a reason. They'd know better about why they did than I would.

Reactions: Ahultin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.