Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2020
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looked under the winter cover, we have a swamp. Fully anticipating having an ammonia issue. Read through the process with just one question. With the filter should I just put it on "circulate" instead of "filter" until the pool holds fc?

Oh NO. :(. I suspect we'll be seeing alot of swamps with such a warm winter for many locations.

Recirculating is fine. The ammonia if present will eat the FC you add so quickly, there won't be much left to kill any algae, hence no need to filter any dead algae.

The Ammonia treatment is more or less a SLAM with faster testing/dosing. (30 min) Within a half hour the FC is gone and you dose again. Once the ammonia is gone, the FC holds and you commence regular SLAM.

Keep in mind, you won't have any CYA with ammonia so the FC target is only 10. Do not overshoot with no FC buffer. You can't add CYA yet because that will be turned into more ammonia. Once the FC holds, get the CYA up to 30, PH to a low 7, and full SLAM ahead with FC 12 / CYA 30.

Reactions: mgtfp and Donldson
I have CYA in my pool!!! I'm so happy! Vac'ing to waste. Taking a break to refill the pool. How do I have so much cya still in my pool? I guess with the water exchange it will go down. Pool is green but I'm relieved!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do I have so much cya still in my pool?
I forget, did you have a mesh or a solid safety cover ?

With mesh, i had higher CYA and salt than i expected per the 10 years prior, due to about 1/3 less rain.

Also, make sure you mix well for a full day before trusting the test results. PH, TA and FC mix quick, but CH, Salt and CYA may take a bit.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok good to know!!!! Mesh cover. I'll test after we vac to waste & start circulating... refilling the pool. Why does it take so long? 2 hoses...

Reactions: SJPoe
refilling the pool. Why does it take so long? 2 hoses...
One foot is 4848 gallons for you. Yeah. It'll be a minute. :ROFLMAO:
Mesh cover
OK so precipitation dilutes you, but many of us had less this year. Let it get good and mixed and we'll go from those results.

Reactions: Snoobug
I'm tired
full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.