I Am Once Again Asking for your Help and Support - New pool/ what does everything do?

Cautiouschris

Mar 26, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone - again great forum, I only wish I had found you guys sooner!:)
New pool build recently completed. PB 'outsourced' the start-up and maintenance to another company. They don't do much, and are generally incommunicado. That said, I'm ready to take this upon myself, as clearly I care about keeping this pool clean a lot more than they do. (Familiar story I'm guessing)
Not sure if you guys can answer these questions, but I thought I'd throw out some questions/ pics and see if you all can educate me.
1. Here's my pool. Looks like 2 drains on the bottom (deep end) and 2 drains in the wall? They look the same, but could be something else. ***Most importantly*** are these 'drains' providing much suction? Will my kids goggles, swim suits, HAIR, get sucked into these and cause someone to drown? That's the Dad and former Lifeguard coming out in me. Same thoughts on the wall drains- are those potentially going to suck out my kids intestines if they get too close, or decide to do something dumb?

2. Right now I only have half the system running - separate pump for waterfall/ water features are not running and pump for pool cleaner is not running. So in the attached pic of pumps I'm trying to determine what the valves do. Through some careful experimentation, it seems the top facing valve changes the suction from mostly bottom drains, to mostly skimmer basket. (Or more accurately from what I can tell increases suction to skimmer when moved, I am assuming proportional decrease at the bottom drains) Can someone surmise what the two other valves do? (the two values lower down in the photo) I can't really tell if they are 'On' or 'Off' and I'm hesitant to mess with things too much here.

3. I really need to clean this pool now. My Pool Guy is basically dead to me at this point. I've taken care of pools for years in High School and College, but admittedly nothing this high-tech. In the old days I would stick a hose in the skimmer suction and use the vacuum head on a pool, and just vacuum the debris and dirt that way. I do I have a 'robot' thing (not currently authorized to use it I guess), but can someone tell me if the vacuum from skimmer process would be the same here?

Attachments

• Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 27
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 26
  • Pump 1.jpg
    Pump 1.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 26
The 2 on the bottom are actually 2 drains into 1 return. This is called an anti-entrapment drain to prevent just the scenario that you outlined. The wall ones I don't know what those are for. They possibly could be another anti-entrapment return for your water features. Your lines into your pump the one in the middle balances between your main drain and the 2 skimmers, each of which appears to have it's own valve which is nice. The setting of those 2 valves is full on. The other valve looks like the main drain gets slightly more suction than the skimmers.

If the plaster is new, avoid using a robot for 30 days. Same with the vacuum. Just wait or hand scoop stuff out.

If I have this correct, the wall “drains” connect to your skimmer. At least on mine they do. Directly in front of my skimmers on the wall. If you take the basket out of your skimmer, you may see 2 holes in the bottom of the skimmer along with a movable flap to cover the front hole. It was explained to me as an “equalizer”. Your skimmer could theoretically never run dry as it will pull water from that side drain. However, your side drain(s) are not in line with the skimmer opening.

If I have this correct, the wall “drains” connect to your skimmer. At least on mine they do. Directly in front of my skimmers on the wall. If you take the basket out of your skimmer, you may see 2 holes in the bottom of the skimmer along with a movable flap to cover the front hole. It was explained to me as an “equalizer”. Your skimmer could theoretically never run dry as it will pull water from that side drain. However, your side drain(s) are not in line with the skimmer opening.
Yeah, this could be. At least on of them is close to skimmer and both skimmers do have the 2 holes and moveable flap which you describe.

ok, that is good to know.... so when water features are finally running I will advise my kids to not stick their tongue on that spot....:unsure:
Sounds good, but no worries about them getting stuck. Chances are they may not even feel the suction.

Enjoy the pool! You'll get it all figured out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.