Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I am back here after 5 months...

I ended up with a second round of a spinal disc infection, my Universal 40 cell went out when I was in the hospital, pool started to turn green, and I have been out commission for just about 5 months.

I suspect the reason why the cell went bad after only 2.5 years is that round one of the infection last late September is when I should have done a near total water exchange but I haven't been physically able. The fact that I am well over 1000 CH now I don't think any SWCG can handle.

I had to have my 22 yo adult son take care of the pool and it ended up greenish when I was in the hospital. I put the bypass in and, God forbid I put the floater and tablets in but also had him use 10% LC the whole time to somewhat slow down CYA creep.

Realistically I can't afford the replacement cell now as I have had no income for 5 weeks, due to disability "insurance" thinking I could work when my neurosurgeon didn't, so adding LC at least is going to continue until spring. I go back to work next Monday. Wish me luck.

This brings up a conundrum for me. If I have to replace the water every 2.5 years because of the terrible Tucson water, high TA and CH, then maybe it's not a big deal to let CYA creep up. My neighbor who uses tabs had to change water in year three because of both CYA and CH. That's not different. I am debating not replacing the cell at this point and doing ghetto pool management from now on and just doing a major water exchange ever other year.

The other option is to get an Apartment sized water softener off or Amazon and put it in the equipment shed for the fill water since it's almost impossible to tap my house softener the way everything is run.

I had to admit, up until that point the SWCG was nice in that it took care of the chlorine portion of the chemistry for me, and allowed me to be somewhat lazy. I did also have a display board lose a segment on it last year. $100 or so under warranty too. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed overall with the unit for the cost. But I am wondering if they are worth it in high TA and CH hard water areas, anyway...

Anyway great to be back here...

For the rest of the actual newbies... Are you absolutely sure you want a pool?

Fred

Reactions: Newdude