Hyundai Elantra- Hybrid -Great car so far!

Wolfepack88

Gold Supporter
Jun 21, 2020
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just picked up an Elantra Limited Hybrid for my boy as his first car and I wanted so share that I'm really impressed with this car. The car is loaded with safety features including semiautonomous driving (we tested on highway and it works really well), drives very nice and gets off the charts gas mileage. We have been getting 55mpg routinely in the first couple of weeks. The warranty is phenomenal at 5/60k- 100k for powertrain and tranny. No CVT transmission but a DCT which will last longer too. We took on road to Penn State and drove very nice and quieter than I thought it would be and two teenagers fit comfortably in the back.

So if you are considering one of these I would highly recommend them in terms of a value prop for what is considered a compact sedan. Only thing missing in my opinion is a HUD and wireless carplay vs wired but for an economy car segment they had to keep costs down at some point so likely why no HUD.

I like the things Hyundai and Kia are doing now. I had a '19 Stinger GT2 that I bought new for a year and a half (remember the good old days pre-COVID when dealerships would entice you with a pile of cash on the hood?), and it was a great car all around. Only sold it because we needed an SUV.

I'd like to drive an Ioniq 5 N when those eventually come out.

I like the things Hyundai and Kia are doing now. I had a '19 Stinger GT2 that I bought new for a year and a half (remember the good old days pre-COVID when dealerships would entice you with a pile of cash on the hood?), and it was a great car all around. Only sold it because we needed an SUV.

I'd like to drive an Ioniq 5 N when those eventually come out.
My bro has a Kia Seltos and he loves it after a Ford Escape which he felt was not very good. I've never owned one and have been a German car guy for a long time and this car, admittedly early days, has opened my eyes to their brand. I've been putting the miles on it and my son is not licensed quite yet but I got a great deal and he's like "Dad it will be used when I get it, ha". Well I paid for it, LOL!!

Nice, we are about to start car shopping for something soon and Hyundai's are on the short list. Is the hybrid a standard hybrid or a plug in?

I had a 2006 Hyundai accent for about 12 years before it bit the dust at close to 200k miles. It was a great little car that was within my budget at the time and I’d get it again. It’s probably even nicer now.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
Nice, we are about to start car shopping for something soon and Hyundai's are on the short list. Is the hybrid a standard hybrid or a plug in?
Standard. I have a plug in with my Lincoln Aviator and I would prefer the regular hybrid. Never have to worry about charging and the whole plug in thing just isn't ready for prime time if you drive serious distances. The regular hybrid accomplishes what is needed, great fuel economy and we can avoid taxing the grid which isn't anywhere near ready for a major shift that the powers that be want to push.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Standard. I have a plug in with my Lincoln Aviator and I would prefer the regular hybrid. Never have to worry about charging and the whole plug in thing just isn't ready for prime time if you drive serious distances. The regular hybrid accomplishes what is needed, great fuel economy and we can avoid taxing the grid which isn't anywhere near ready for a major shift that the powers that be want to push.
Thanks. I have a regular hybrid (F150) and love it, but at times I wondered about plug-ins. Since this will be a kid car and likely parked behind one of us in the driveway a plug-in would be a PITA, as would trying to mess with that in college/her next chapter in life.

Thanks. I have a regular hybrid (F150) and love it, but at times I wondered about plug-ins. Since this will be a kid car and likely parked behind one of us in the driveway a plug-in would be a PITA, as would trying to mess with that in college/her next chapter in life.
Same situation here. Parked outside and will be college car as well!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Curious- did you have any issues with getting insurance? Apparently around here many insurers aren’t issuing new policies for some hyundais & kias due to theft risk.
Here’s an article about state farm in particular
None I was actually able to add via my phone app. Done in 30 seconds and had insurance card right on my phone to show dealer. For stuff like this, the smartphones are not evil (LOL)!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Also all Hyundai's produced since 2021 have an engine immobilizer as standard equipment per google.
Yeah, the article listed older models- definitely something to look out for if buying used. The long warranties on those cars (hyundais/kias) are the main advantage of them in my opinion but you don’t get the advantage of that when you’re not the 1st owner unfortunately so buying new is the way to go. Don’t transfer out of your name to your son’s name until you’re past all the warranty periods.

Reactions: kul
Yeah, the article listed older models- definitely something to look out for if buying used. The long warranties on those cars (hyundais/kias) are the main advantage of them in my opinion but you don’t get the advantage of that when you’re not the 1st owner unfortunately so buying new is the way to go. Don’t transfer out of your name to your son’s name until you’re past all the warranty periods.

Yep, an interesting thing to learn that most "new car" warranties are now called "limited warranties" as I finance guy at a dealer told me that car companies were gettiing inundated with what really is wear and tear or just not treating things properly and then wanting it replaced. Like slamming doors or breaking things not intentionally but not showing care and then wanting warranty to fix them. Not saying car companies or dealer are angels by any stretch and likely a cost saving issue too but warranties are now limited. Always Crud in the fine print now. Never was a believer in extended warranties but got unreal deals on the last few vehicles after shopping online and getting matched prices on OEM extended warranties and both paid off on repairs that would have otherwise not been covered (sliding door on minivan) and twin turbos on an audi.

From what I have read the “reduced” warranty only applies to the power train - goes from 10yrs to 5yrs for subsequent owners. The others aren’t affected & nor does it affect the hybrid warranty. Its like a 50 page warranty book lol 😂
Hopefully you won’t need warranty service anyway & your kid will get many great miles out if it!

I’ve been a KIA gal since 2007. I’ve had great experiences with them and although my current Sorento is a 2020 and therefore has the vulnerability that Mdragger88 mentioned, I bought a “steering wheel to brake pedal lock“ that would make my car very difficult to steal.

I’ll probably keep it another couple of years and unless something amazing comes along, replace with another KIA. Love the safety features and long warranty, and fully loaded is still affordable.

The new 2024 Hyundai Elantra N is a great-looking car and would be on my short list of cars to replace my 2016 Volkswagen GTI if I were forced to.

I've been a car buff my whole life and the latest crop of German cars does nothing for me...new GTI has cheap interior and will lose its manual transmission next year, BMWs and especially Mercedes are bloated, ugly, and overcomplicated (and are losing their V8s). But glad that the Koreans (and, to a lesser extent, the Japanese) are still building reasonably-priced enthusiast vehicles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.