Hydrostatic valve in liner pool

Goldenzrule

Jun 6, 2018
Newtown, CT
I am in the process of getting quotes for a new liner for our in ground pool. We had a new liner installed by a guy that was unqualified, (we later found out) 5 years ago. We have ground water and the liner lifted so bad there were very large wrinkles from day 1 (standing as much as 6" at some points) and ultimately tore at the light. One company said a hydrostatic valve would keep the ground water from becoming an issue by relieving that water (allow it to enter the pool). Another company said a properly measured liner coupled with the water level remaining where it should be would keep ground water from lifting the liner and becoming an issue. He said the hydroatatic valves are used primarily in gunite pools. I'm just looking for guidance on what is really the best way to tackle this. I do not want a repeat of the issues we've had the last 5 years. We didn't even use the pool last year, it was out of commis6the entire season. TIA for any input/advice

That first response that a hydrostatic valve will help keep the water pressure balanced is bogus. If the pool is full of water and the ground water remains below the waterline of the pool, then the liner should stay in place. The second guy is correct. You don’t need a hydrostatic valve and, honestly, you don’t even really need a main drain in most pools. In your case, that would be one less penetration through the liner.

I agree - a properly measured and correctly installed liner will not move if you are keeping your water level constant.

Also, if you’re renovating the pool area and ground water is an issue, then maybe you might consider having well points dug around the pool area so that you can pump excess ground water away from the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 to all above.

A hydrostatic valve can only let so much water through at a time and can be overwhelmed by a monsoon or a fast rising ground water table. Or the shallow end floods with rain water that hasn't seeped to the deep end where the valve is yet. If the pool is full, said ground water has nowhere to go because the pool is already full.

Well points and submersible pumps can only do so much as well. If the towns water table rises by a couple of feet, it will be like trying to pump the ocean. They can help greatly though in lower volume times.

That first response that a hydrostatic valve will help keep the water pressure balanced is bogus. If the pool is full of water and the ground water remains below the waterline of the pool, then the liner should stay in place. The second guy is correct. You don’t need a hydrostatic valve and, honestly, you don’t even really need a main drain in most pools. In your case, that would be one less penetration through the liner.

I agree - a properly measured and correctly installed liner will not move if you are keeping your water level constant.

Also, if you’re renovating the pool area and ground water is an issue, then maybe you might consider having well points dug around the pool area so that you can pump excess ground water away from the pool.
Thanks. I'm happy you verify the second guys claims as I felt a lot more comfortable with him. I did add one sump well although it was placed in a more convenient and not necessarily best location. Been considering adding another. I have a strong feeling the guy whose installed out liner 5 years ago mismeasured. He definitely didn't know what he was doing. It took him from end of June until November to get it done, and required help from someone else to get the line in. He literally was here for days trying to get it installed before he brought someone else to help him.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.