HydroQuip cs500 leaking when pump is running.

Jan 3, 2014
East Bay, CA
Just replaced my heater element, refilled, and now I'm getting a leak when the pump runs. Leaking into the wiring box, so not getting much of a look at it for a couple reasons. ;-) Dried out the box once and did not see any water in there with pump off.

Most obvious candidate is the O-ring, though I'd expect that to leak all the time. I had the thing on the bench and felt pretty good about seating, but logically it's the smoking gun. Torqued down on those bolts some more, just in case but no change.

I did re-use the pressure switch, which I sealed with clear RTV.

Also, this thing doesn't have iso valves, Is there a way I can plug the pipes so I don't waste 400 gallons if I have to take the thing out again?

...also wondering if I went wrong with the installation. Heater came with o-ring and a thing cork gasket, so I used both, but previous unit just seated o-ring against the metal flange. I'll try to get a better look in daylight, and also check if the thing leaks slowly when the pump is off.

OK, no leakage overnight. Got an inspection mirror in there and powered the circuit, lit off the pump. Definitely seeing a stream on the front of the flange. Doesn't mean the o-ring can't also be leaking, but the only thing on the front is the pressure switch. Going to try and loosen that a few turns and goop it up with either T plus 2 pipe dope or window silicone(wet setting), then tighten it down and see. Heard good things about Plumber's Gold silicone(also wet-setting), but can't find the stuff locally.
If that fails, I'll have to pull the switch out and tape+dope it.

Once I get that closed up, I'll be able to see if there's anything coming from behind the flange. Ohmmmmm.

Going to pick up some test plugs anyway so I can isolate the unit next time with a minimal loss of water.

Pulled the pressure switch, wrapped and doped it and stuck her back in. Let everything dry overnight before powering the box again. Still getting a drip, but nothing like what it was, so definitely the right hole. I'll try to tighten another turn or two, but plastic threads into alloy means there's not much more pressure I can put on it before it strips.
I re-used the switch because it was functional, not considering the seal.

Just yesterday, I was hunting a leak on my 20 yo jacuzzi tub with the old style self aligning pump unions. I had a small leak on the top union, discharge side, leaking down onto my new pump and motor, causing the breaker to trip. I fiddled around with thread tape, vasoline, etc. Finally realized my pvc pump union had a hairline crack that wasn't visible until I tightened it down on the pump. Plus, it was facing the inside of the tub, it wasn't visible to me. The vibration from the motor exposed the hairline crack, along with possibly over tightening of the union. These pvc unions are only made to be hand tightened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.