Hydrogen Peroxide Usage

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
In my first few days of ownership, I messed up and added way too much dichlor. I found I could use hydrogen peroxide to lower and actually neutralize the chlorine. It worked almost instantly. I have a bottle of 35% hydrogen peroxide.

In my first few days of ownership, I messed up and added way too much dichlor. I found I could use hydrogen peroxide to lower and actually neutralize the chlorine. It worked almost instantly. I have a bottle of 35% hydrogen peroxide.
Your poolmath log doesn’t have any current test results but you may not have had too much chlorine especially if it was di-chlor. You can’t tell what the max chlorine level is unless you also know the CYA level. How are you testing and did you test the CYA?

I have that special TFT chlorine test kit (FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit). I did not test CYA at that time as I realized I had made a major error. I just used the kit I mentioned.
Now my CYA is 20-30 by using TFT's CYA test kit.

Anyways, I hadn't seen anyone mention Hydrogen Peroxide as a chlorine neutralizer. That's my point in mentioning it. I have since seen it mentioned....oops....

I have that special TFT chlorine test kit (FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit). I did not test CYA at that time as I realized I had made a major error. I just used the kit I mentioned.
Now my CYA is 20-30 by using TFT's CYA test kit.

Anyways, I hadn't seen anyone mention Hydrogen Peroxide as a chlorine neutralizer. That's my point in mentioning it. I have since seen it mentioned....oops....
What was your FC test result when the CYA is 20-30? At that level of CYA, it’s perfectly safe for your FC to be all the way up to 12ppm, and there’s almost never a reason to need to reduce chlorine since the sun reduces it for free.

If you accidentally dropped a full bottle of chlorine like mentioned above, then maybe…

Reactions: Donldson
I didn’t check my CYA. Reminder, I had just had my hot tub a few days. I just knew it would be a while before I would normally get to CYA 30.

I think I put about 60 drops in the DPD test. I panicked and goggled and saw that hydrogen peroxide would eat up my chlorine. I then remembered I had a qt of “certified 35 food grade hydrogen peroxide” in my bathroom. And boy my chlorine vanished in minutes.

Now, I have learned:

Good results and good decisions are based on experience.

Experience is based on bad decisions and bad results.
Have you figured out how you got the FC up to 30ppm using the 10ml water sample or if your water sample was 25ml, then your FC was perfectly at SLAM level which is fine. Which was it?

Good results are based on accurate measurements. Save yourself some time and record your results in an app like poolmath and it’ll help you out a ton.

I don't know what exactly you are asking. I used dichlor to get to 30-ish on my CYA. I just kept adding and checking using the 10 ml plastic tube in my Taylor test kit. I subsequently
ordered the CYA test kit to get a more accurate reading.

I don't know what exactly you are asking. I used dichlor to get to 30-ish on my CYA. I just kept adding and checking using the 10 ml plastic tube in my Taylor test kit. I subsequently
ordered the CYA test kit to get a more accurate reading.
The Taylor kit recommended by TFP already has a CYA test in it. How can you get your CYA to 30-ish without a test kit? There’s something missing here that isn’t making sense and I’m concerned you have some testing error going on.

What test kit exactly do you have? What are the most recent water test results of FC and CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have 2 CYA test kits. Taylor 2006 and TFT CYA. Taylor only goes to 30. The TFT goes to 20

This morning FC 4 and last Monday CYA 25-30.

Not being a wise guy but I’ve got the testing down. It’s what to do with the results in the beginning that got me down. LOL

I wish I had gotten the TF-Pro test kit. I will when I decide to replace my Taylor.

See where I mentioned the clear plastic CYA tube in the Taylor test kit in an earlier post?

I have 2 CYA test kits. Taylor 2006 and TFT CYA. Taylor only goes to 30. The TFT goes to 20

This morning FC 4 and last Monday CYA 25-30.

Not being a wise guy but I’ve got the testing down. It’s what to do with the results in the beginning that got me down. LOL

I wish I had gotten the TF-Pro test kit. I will when I decide to replace my Taylor.

See where I mentioned the clear plastic CYA tube in the Taylor test kit in an earlier post?

I just saw you say plastic tube which is why I’m confused.
checking using the 10 ml plastic tube in my Taylor test kit.

There’s a plastic tube for chlorine and a plastic tube for CYA. My earlier comment about 10ml and 25ml was to make sure when you are testing chlorine that you don’t mix up the water sample size. If the 60ish drops you used for the FC test was with a 25ml water sample, then your FC was only 12ppm but if you used a 10ml water sample then your FC was 30ppm. Only one of those measurements is showing FC that’s too high. I’ve seen that mistake more than once and just want to make sure you weren’t doing that.

The 60 drops was with the DPD test kit

And I thank you for making sure I was doing things accurately.

I’m an old man trying to type on my phone not using enough words because I get tired of typing on the phone.

My bad.

The 60 drops was with the DPD test kit

And I thank you for making sure I was doing things accurately.

I’m an old man trying to type on my phone not using enough words because I get tired of typing on the phone.

My bad.
No worries. I assume you mean the FAS-DPD kit. Just make sure you are adding 60 drops to ONLY 10ml of water. The FAS-DPD kit also allows you to test with 25ml of water but you need to multiply by 0.2 to get the correct amount of FC instead of 0.5.

Reactions: Gebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.