Hybrid Fiberglass Pool major remodel.

WOW we are about two months into this reno and it is finally done. I am so glad we decided to do this project in lieu of just filling in the pool.

When we bought the house in May, we were one of many offers. The original owner's son did us a solid by accepting our offer, he wanted the house to go to a family. This project required a lot of coordination and effort by several parties especially the pool pro. I think most people would have waived the white flag and filled in this pool. The house and the pool are great. Instead of removing or changing things we are restoring the house and the pool to its original glory! It deserves it.

We have had our kids and the neighborhood kids in this pool daily now.

Before and after. I will try and post more once I get the landscaping cleaned up.

Thanks again for coming along for the ride

pool before 2.jpg
pool after 7.jpg
Pool after8.jpg

You did it! You really did it! That is awesome! What an interesting shape that is!

So let me ask you how you are testing it? What chemicals are you using?

See here at TFP we also teach how to care for the pool on your own using your own test kit and stuff you can buy at Walmart and Lowes! The kids would love to do the "science experiments" for the testing and it is easy to do!

Let me know if you are interested in learning. We have all kinds of links and even videos. It is all FREE! (well except the test kit but it is cheaper than one trip to the pool $tore LOL). You can buy the kits on Amazon or the link in my siggy below.

:kim:

You did it! You really did it! That is awesome! What an interesting shape that is!

So let me ask you how you are testing it? What chemicals are you using?

See here at TFP we also teach how to care for the pool on your own using your own test kit and stuff you can buy at Walmart and Lowes! The kids would love to do the "science experiments" for the testing and it is easy to do!

Let me know if you are interested in learning. We have all kinds of links and even videos. It is all FREE! (well except the test kit but it is cheaper than one trip to the pool $tore LOL). You can buy the kits on Amazon or the link in my siggy below.

Thank you.

I have a TF-100 (I ordered thru your link) which I have only used to check PH and Chlorine. I haven't read up on the rest of the tests. I have been using liquid bleach to adjust the chlorine levels. PH is over 8 and I think the FC is a little high. My eyes are red after swimming, might be just me because my kids seem fine.

I will figure out how to get the rest of the numbers from the TF-100 and just reference back to Pool Math.

The high PH is what might be causing the red eyes. PH and TA work hand in hand for the comfort of your eyes and skin.

Go to the test kit link and look for the videos. They are very well done and show just how to do the tests.

I do have some tips for them.

PH-I hold white, plastic plate behind the test tube and pull it back and forth to help me match the color. I do this test under a bright light in my kitchen.

TA-it will "flash" red when you add the drops BUT you do not stop until the color changes and STAYS reddish

CYA-sun to back, tube held at tummy in the shadow of your body using your forefinger and thumb at the top of the tube. Pour the mixed test water to the first line (100) and GLANCE in the tube. If you see the dot at the GLANCE pour to the next line and GLANCE in. Go line by line until you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE. You can then pour a little of the water back into the mix bottle (about half way between the lines that have the bigger gaps between them). It takes some practice. You can pour the mixture back and forth as needed to learn the best way for you to do the test.

IF you have not added any CYA yet you will have 0 in your water as it has to be added.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns so your pool can be a REAL Trouble Free Pool!

Hi dq7256! Great Job! Maybe I missed the total cost. I too inherited a hybrid pool. You should be able to click on my name and see the work we did on our pool. Ours was a moderately cheap fix. We bought new equipment and just this last year we added a SWG to it. The paint has lasted 3 seasons, now needs something done. I am researching plaster painting for the bottom and something else for the sides. I currently only have one jet working (other was capped when we bought the house.) I plan on having it fixed and after reading your journey possibly adding another one or 2. My pool is much larger and I am sure the difficulties I had were due to one jet and one skimmer last year. I had a robot in previous years with a SWG built in and I am sure it helped with circulation but SWG went out and is not worth replacing due to cost. Curious to the cost of the liner as that has been mentioned to us before. We have cracked and broken coping as well and wonder how that fits in with your liner? Next month the work begins for us.

Hello,
The coping he used is from a company called Vastec. They're based in Canada and make flexible aluminum coping. I have the same hybrid pool but mine is a double roman. In order for me to secure this coping on top of the fiberglass wall, I had to make a shelf for it to screw onto. I had aluminum angle installed so the Vastec coping could be placed on top and screwed into securely. For the turns I had notches cut into it to allow it to bend. Worked really good for me.Resized_20151026_151826.jpg
I was finally able to drop a liner in it late last year.
Resized_20160927_163128.jpg
Working on the plumbing this summer. 3 year project for me, goal is to have everything ready for my family to start swimming in it next summer.
DJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this post is a few years old but I’ve come across the same pool and doing the same thing and your post has helped me a lot, wonder if you have any more pictures of your fiberglass repairs to those sleeves holding the rebar?

Reppy, you might try private messaging the OP which may get his attention faster if they have it set up to email them directly. You can find the private message link up on the top left side.

Good luck with you reno!

Maddie :flower:

A couple of quick updates. I just sent PM's to the questions that were asked. Sorry I haven't been on TFP in a while, I just saw the additional posts to this thread. All is well with the pool still, I actually just logged back in because I just took the Winter Safety Cover off and I need to use Pool Math. I did notice a small problem with the liner, where the fiberglass walls meet the concrete floor there is a 6 inch ledge, so basically it creates a 90 degree angle where the two meet and the liner has detached from that 90. The liner is still intact and the pool hasn't lost any water. So the liner does a 45 around the bend instead of a 90 around the bend. The detachment started about one month after the liner was installed and has gradually spread. The Pool Pro wasn't to concerned with it and I generally agree. I figure since this is such a unique situation , if I need to replace a liner every 8 years instead of every 12 years I am good with that. Time will tell. Here she is after sitting all Winter.

pool2018.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.