Howdy y'all! New pool owners from Texas

Concord122

Sep 11, 2019
Spring, TX
My wife and I just bought a house with an in-ground pool and hot tub in the Spring, TX area. Considering we have lived in Texas for less than 2 months, perhaps we aren't quite ready to use "y'all" as frequently as some do but it does come in handy!

My wife and I went to "pool school" at our local pool store last night and when I came home I wanted to see what Reddit had to say about pool care. That led me here and so far I love the idea of using basic household chemicals to manage the pool instead of all the expensive stuff at the pool store. Based on my limited experience, the main guy we have been using at the pool store has been great so far in terms of getting our pool looking good in the few weeks we have owned the house. I am concerned about CYA levels though given we have been using in-line 3" cholorine tablets and shocked the pool once after moving in to get rid of mustard algae. So far, it is looking nice and clear and our new Polaris cleaner (old one was a wreck) is doing a super job as well. Also, got our DE filters cleaned and replaced 5 fins this past week as well. I will probably do that going forward as it didn't seem too difficult.

I just ordered the TFTestkits TF-100 so I can begin testing water on my own. Once it arrives, I will be sure to test and post numbers to get things started.

Question: I was reading on other parts of the forum that I should be adding 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to the pool per night until that comes in. Is that still good advice? Our pool is about 12,000 gallons (may be up to 15k - will take more detailed measurements later). My wife is probably going to take a water sample to the pool store today - who knows what they will have her buy...

Thanks and look forward to being part of the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Great choice to buy a quality test kit.
We suggest the 5 ppm FC of liquid chlorine each day if you have active algae and have no idea what your parameters are. It sounds like your water is OK looking but you are unsure of your parameters. Realize we do not provide guidance based on pool store tests. You are welcome to get them and do as you please, but we find them to be inaccurate and not repeatable.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Great choice to buy a quality test kit.
We suggest the 5 ppm FC of liquid chlorine each day if you have active algae and have no idea what your parameters are. It sounds like your water is OK looking but you are unsure of your parameters. Realize we do not provide guidance based on pool store tests. You are welcome to get them and do as you please, but we find them to be inaccurate and not repeatable.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the reply! I have read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. If we do not have any active algae, what should our next steps be until we can test the water ourselves?

I would suggest do what you are doing. The pucks are adding FC and CYA. As we transition to winter your FC loss will be less.

If you ordered your kit today you will get it by Friday or Monday. Run a full set of tests at that time and start a new thread in Just Getting Started.

Have you see the Poolmath app?

Hi Concord,
welcome to Texas and to TFP. It's nice to see people introduce themselves that aren't in a flat out panic with green pool and a party coming up in 2 days!

Also nice to see someone who already has the test kit on order too!
Once you get the test kit, test the water out of your tap also. No need to test the tap water for CYA though, Knowing what your tap water parameters are will give you an idea of what might happen over a period of time as you replace water that evaporated.

My wife and I just bought a house with an in-ground pool and hot tub in the Spring, TX area. Considering we have lived in Texas for less than 2 months, perhaps we aren't quite ready to use "y'all" as frequently as some do but it does come in handy!

My wife and I went to "pool school" at our local pool store last night and when I came home I wanted to see what Reddit had to say about pool care. That led me here and so far I love the idea of using basic household chemicals to manage the pool instead of all the expensive stuff at the pool store. Based on my limited experience, the main guy we have been using at the pool store has been great so far in terms of getting our pool looking good in the few weeks we have owned the house. I am concerned about CYA levels though given we have been using in-line 3" cholorine tablets and shocked the pool once after moving in to get rid of mustard algae. So far, it is looking nice and clear and our new Polaris cleaner (old one was a wreck) is doing a super job as well. Also, got our DE filters cleaned and replaced 5 fins this past week as well. I will probably do that going forward as it didn't seem too difficult.

I just ordered the TFTestkits TF-100 so I can begin testing water on my own. Once it arrives, I will be sure to test and post numbers to get things started.

Question: I was reading on other parts of the forum that I should be adding 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to the pool per night until that comes in. Is that still good advice? Our pool is about 12,000 gallons (may be up to 15k - will take more detailed measurements later). My wife is probably going to take a water sample to the pool store today - who knows what they will have her buy...

Thanks and look forward to being part of the forum!
Welcome to Texas!
Having a pool is one good way to adapt to the heat down here, for sure.
Just curious, what part of Spring are you'se guys(lol) living in?
I grew up off Rayford Rd. back in the 70's.

Welcome to TFP! Also, congrats on the new home and pool. Beautiful area, we lived there for many years before retiring (the first time). We've got experts in everything pool, you already have a few on this thread. My only suggestion is that you wait for your own test results before you do anything different from Marty's starting advice. In the meantime, it may also be helpful to list what you've added to your pool for "shock" and anything else you added to treat for the mustard algae. Once you post your first complete set of results you'll be on your way with detailed advice from our experts.

Your kit should be here in days then you'll be off and running with TFP methodology. I was right where you are about 5 years ago. Learned TFP methods very quickly with help of great expert advice (they're all still here). Perfect pool ever since at about $10/month. Amazing! Recently converted to salt using TFP recommendations for salt... even more amazing!

Good luck to you!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Concord,
welcome to Texas and to TFP. It's nice to see people introduce themselves that aren't in a flat out panic with green pool and a party coming up in 2 days!

Also nice to see someone who already has the test kit on order too!
Once you get the test kit, test the water out of your tap also. No need to test the tap water for CYA though, Knowing what your tap water parameters are will give you an idea of what might happen over a period of time as you replace water that evaporated.

Thanks! That is a good tip. I guess I should test it coming out of the external faucet that fills the pool? Or does it not make a difference if it comes from the kitchen sink?

It only matters which fill water source you test (kitchen or outside faucet) as long as you don't have an in-house filter. It just needs to be which ever water you add to the pool routinely.

I'd say Welcome to Texas, but I'm in Georgia and am jealous that you're back in Texas. <sigh> You can't take the state outta a girl and I miss it dearly.

Maddie :flower: