How would you plumb this?

May 24, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
It's time to replace the ball valves with nice Jandy valves. On the returns, you can see in the photo I just used two-way valves on each of the 3 return lines.

But on the suction side, I know it's popular to use Jandy 3-way valves to divert flow from the drain to a skimmer, etc. But the geniuses that installed this 20 years ago put the drain between the two skimmer lines! I've seen it done before with two three way valves if the skimmers are next to each other, but the only way I see doing it like this is having the middle one come up from below to a second 3-way valve mounted on its side.

So how would you do this? Just stick to two-way valves? Or is there some clever way you would do this with diverters?

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    612.9 KB · Views: 28
Red,

There is nothing wrong with the way it is plumbed now, except for the ball valves.. If the ball valves work, I would just leave them.. If not I would replace them with 2-way Jandy valves.. 3-way valves do not give you the same control that individual 2-way valve do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Red,

Nothing wrong going with 2" plumbing, but if you are doing that because you think you will see an improvement in operation, you will not be able to tell any difference at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yep, leave the plumbing design the same with 2 way valves, just use the jandy valves. If you're going to 2' PVC, get the 2"/2.5" valves, not the 1.5"/2" valves.
YES I made that mistake for my 2" plumbing..Had to send it back

Your plumbing looks similar to what mine was..I had 1-1/2 but use 2" valves and 2" pipe above to the pump..One trick I learned was get slower drying/medium PVC cement :) give you a couple seconds to move around before it sticks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.