How Would a Variable Speed Pump Work With My Setup??

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Good evening Guys, I want to upgrade/replace my pool pump. I currently have a 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super II. I hear a lot of people saying to get a variable speed pump but I'm new to them and I don't understand how they would work with my current setup. Right now I run my pump about 10 hours during the late night/early morning hours during the non-peak hours. While the pump is running, only the popups are running. See the attached picture that shows my valve set up.
Valves_zpse02b2868.jpg

The Black Arrow goes to my Popups. Green to the Returns. Red to (2) Waterfalls.

Since only one of the 3 items can be selected at a time, I don't understand how a variable speed would work since the popups need a certain speed to operate. Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

I don't understand how a variable speed would work since the popups need a certain speed to operate.
Exactly. A VS is sort of a waste for in-floor cleaning systems. It will save ~10% in energy cost but it won't be a lot. In-floors are power hogs. If you want to save energy, you will need to reduce the amount of run time for the in-floors down to a few hours at most. 10 hours really shouldn't be necessary. Have you tried shorter run times? You might want to experiment some before committing to a VS.

Buy the iAqualink 2.0 bundle with RS control panel for around $600, control your entire backyard with your iPhone, iPad, laptop etc. program it with JVAs (jandy valve actuators) which are electric valves. You can set it up so VS pump goes to high speed and switches to pop ups simultaneously automatically every night for a few hours, then drop back down to medium speed with returns on to circulate. Then when u wake up and electricity is expensive, pump is automatically on low speed and coming out the waterfall. You can always instantaneously override the schedule by pushing a one touch setting on any control device you have paired from anywhere in the world. PM me for details, I just installed this system myself last month.

17000k gallon IG vinyl kidney, iaqualink 2.0, Hayward cartridge, 1.0 hp VS Jandy, fusion 2 SWG, Toronto

But don't I have to run the pool pump a certain amount of time to turn the water over?
No turnover is irrelevant. Read the article in my signature. It shows that after 2 hours of run time there was no difference in water quality.

How would I switch between popups and the returns/waterfalls in the middle of the night?
Why would you? Just run the popups for 2 hours.

My pop-ups all go through a full cleaning cycle in less than 2 hrs. In that time every one of them is activated in all 12 possible positions. So my VS pump is setup to run at a high speed for only two hours a day. After that it runs at a mid speed For a few hours while the SWG continues to chlorinate the pool. Then it's set for a very slow speed for another 10 hrs, just because it only draws 100 watts and makes the water sparkle so.

I can't lie, those are some pretty sweet features you guys have. Let's just assume I'm not ready for that step...yet.

Then I highly recommend cutting your run time in half to start and see how you like the results. Most residential pools that need long run times are SWG pools that need the run time to generate enough chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.