How to waste the algae

Miniman

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2016
HOUSTON/ TEXAS
The pool is green and I spent the time to insure water was balanced correctly. It took me a week so figured now would be the time to slam to kill the algae. What I just realized is that I need to vacuum the pool better 1st as my intex vacuum just is not cutting it. The real idiot in me vacuumed on regular filtration not realizing that was useless. So all that being said how can I vacuum my intex above ground pool to waste? I have the Intex Krystal clear sand filter pump that has proper setting but need tot understand if I can vacuum to waste and what I would do.

Thank you to anyone and everyone for support

Many Thanks & Great Days to All

Miniman
6981 Gallon 18 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AG, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 3000 GPH, INTEX 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System, TF-100 Test Kit, Intex Auto Pool Cleaner

You should be able to turn the multi valve and it would send anything to the waste pipe instead of into the filter.

But, I think there are bigger questions around your water chemistry that you need to solve for first. Can you post your latest numbers using your TF-100?

Reactions: tim5055
Here are my numbers
FC - 5.0; CC - 2.0
CH - 300
TA - 80
CYA - 70
PH -7.8
when i pull water from the pool the water is clear and when i brush you can see clear again . I believe that is why they told me to vacuum to waste 1st. Kind of getting conflicting reports on when to vacuum
again any words of wisdom excepted

Ok, so lets focus on chlorine as the #1 priority. Your CYA is 70, so if I look at the FC/CYA chart (see my signature if needed), your FC of 5 is right in line with the target, good job.

Lets still focus on chlorine. You initially said it was green, but you also mentioned a previous SLAM. Did you SLAM and kill all of the algae, or do you still have algae? If you dont have algae, keep it at the Target FC (5) and if you do have algae, follow the SLAM process (FC 28). With a CC of 2, I'm guessing you have algae.

Next lets move on to your brush and vacuuming question:

when i pull water from the pool the water is clear and when i brush you can see clear again . I believe that is why they told me to vacuum to waste 1st. Kind of getting conflicting reports on when to vacuum
I'm not sure I'm fully following this, but I'm a little scared. Who is telling you to vacuum to waste? If it is the pool store telling you that, what else did they have you add to your pool? Hopefully you have not added any flocculants or clarifiers, but please let us know if you did.

Last edited:
You have a sand filter so you don't need to vacuum to waste unless you are either trying to lower the water level & vacuum at the same time or vacuuming up gunk because you used floc.

The sand in the filter catches the dead algae and other things. You use the backwash (followed by rinse, if available) to get the "gunk" out of the sand when pressure rises on the filter.

I agree with Tex, focus on killing the algae then worry about getting the dead algae out of the pool.

Great guys ok so i have not added anything and dont intend to until thumbs up from on of you. Here are some pics that may not help. Person who told me to vacuum 1st was not a pool person so not listening to that. NO Floc used I take care of the pool only. in general i dont use Floc at all and will use clarifier on occasion . so i guess i will begin to slam and when finished do as suggested and vacuum and then backwash & rinse. Thumbs up please if in agreeance and thank you so muchIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1790.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 3
Yep, that is certainly green and a SLAM is in order.

Do you know if your SWCG is actually making chlorine? You likely will want to shut it off during the SLAM, but you want to make sure it is working properly for after the SLAM so you dont end up with another green pool.

How much is the cost of water for you? I'm thinking it might be less costly and faster to drain all that green water and start over. With a CYA of 70, you've got a high bar to hit to get and stay at SLAM level for FC. If this were my pool (given my water costs), that is the approach I would take.

If you decide to drain & refill you should still do the SLAM Process only it probably won’t take quite as long.
Also during the slam you’re supposed to vac & or brush the pool daily to filter. Be sure to scrub the seams/flaps.
Its a process that takes days - the more adamant you are with testing & bringing back up to slam level for your cyaFC/CYA Levels the faster it will go. At least 4x’s/daily but no more than once an hour.
Either way get yourself a good supply source for liquid chlorine- its the only thing i buy @ the pool store 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.