How to use MPS?

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
Pool Size
I've posted here before about our hot tub at our vacation rental which gets used heavily in summer (in the mtns). Guests stay anywhere from 4 to 7 nights. Capacity is 6-8.

Rather than have our service person come out during a stay, I was planning to leave 2 tbsp of MPS (we have a bromine system) in portion control cups and ask them to add one a day after each use. I am worried about the water getting cloudy and gross during their stay.

I just spoke with someone at the company where we purchased our tub about this and am wondering if you agree with what she had to say.

She explained that sanitizer kills bacteria but the dead bacteria stays in the water and that can cause cloudiness (it's not the only thing that can cause it though). And in this case, cloudy doesn't mean dirty. Though guests might think so. Shock doesn't kill bacteria. It's not a sanitizer. It's an oxidizer. What it does is it takes the dead bacteria (and skeletons!) and converts it to a gas. That's why you leave the hot tub cover open for 15 minutes after adding it.

She said with a floater, there will always be sanitizer in the water, but I've seen the test show none after a bather load. Don't you need MPS to reactivate the bromine then? She said no, that you only need MPS once a week. That the bromine will regenerate from the floater -it'll just take a little time, but should be good if they use the hot tub daily.

What they could do is add a clarifier to make the water clearer, maybe 2 oz every 3 days , which coagulates the small particles and then the resulting bigger particles can get trapped by the filter.

Or what about using Leisure Time Replenish? "quick dissolving 4-in-1 shock treatment that combines the benefits of non-chlorine oxidizers, chlorine shock, buffers and clarifiers."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.