How to treat this? Pictures included

HardTrance9 said:
I was reviewing the Pool Calculator and according to all the numbers, to raise up pH by 1.15 and TA by 37, I would need to add 1,500 g. of soda ash.

If I add double of this but with baking soda, then we won't get that much improvement: by adding 3,000 g. of baking soda then the TA raises by 47 but the pH raises only by 0.1 ! (pool calculator)

If we are not able to get borax or soda ash here, is there any other way we could treat this?
Don't use baking soda if your main goal is to increase pH. It would raise Total Alkalinity too much. Make that trip to Costco (or wherever) and buy the Soda Ash or Borax (not the laundry detergent... look for label that says 20 Mule Team Laundry Booster -- 100% sodium tetraborate.)

The only other way I know of to raise pH is through purposeful aeration (using water features, spa jets etc.)

Hi again,

Ok, so this pool labeled "GM" on my signature looks much better now! but I know there still things to do..

Followed the recommendations:

1. Increase pH of the pool water to at least 7.0 with Borax or Soda Ash

Still not able to do it, but after draining 50% of the pool and refilling, the pH got better to 6.8 (still low I know)

2. Drain water, then refill to lower CYA to around 50 ppm (but no more than 80 ppm)

Well, did the draining, but the CYA seems to be still high. Now got a clear reading of 100 (before I couldn't tell,
as the black dot disappeared after filling the tube almost immediately).

Do we need to drain again?

3. Test pool water and post results

Here they go:

FC 3.5 (before 8.5)
CC 0.5 (before 0)
TC 4.0 (before 8.5)
pH 6.8 (before maybe 5.0)
TA 50 (before 20)
CH 190 (before 330)

CH/Br kit: Ch: 5.0 Br: 10

Pool: capacity 10,029 US gallons
Surface: plaster

4. Test fill water and post results

Here they go:

FC 0 (after adding the R-870 powder, it didn't turn pink at all)
CC 0.5
TC 4.0
pH 8.2-8.3
TA 80
CH 20 (after R-0011L turned somewhat purple (not red). After 2 drops of R-0012 turned blue)

CH/Br kit: Ch: 0 Br: 0

-----------------------------------

Normal pump pressure: 9 psi

The pool looks much more clear now, but the CYA is too high right?

Do think it is swimable for now or not?

------------------------------------

I am attaching the pictures from this pool which has black algae (commented this before).... Hope it won't be impossible to get rid of it...

What do you recommend to do?

Many thanks as always!

Attachments

• 30Oct_0003.jpg
    30Oct_0003.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 30Oct_0012.jpg
    30Oct_0012.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 30Oct_0008.jpg
    30Oct_0008.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 22
HardTrance9 said:
2. Drain water, then refill to lower CYA to around 50 ppm (but no more than 80 ppm)

Well, did the draining, but the CYA seems to be still high. Now got a clear reading of 100 (before I couldn't tell,as the black dot disappeared after filling the tube almost immediately).

Do we need to drain again?

3. Test pool water and post results

Here they go:

FC 3.5 (before 8.5)
CC 0.5 (before 0)
TC 4.0 (before 8.5)
pH 6.8 (before maybe 5.0)
TA 50 (before 20)
CH 190 (before 330)
Well, as duraleigh said, getting pH in the right range is important. Thanks for posting the results for both pool and fill water. Since your CYA is still too high, and your fill water's pH is high, you can kill two birds with one stone by draining some more water and refilling. This should increase the pH level and lower the CYA ppm. At that point you can start to worry about diagnosing and treating any suspected algae. You're on the way to success, my friend! :-D

polyvue said:
Well, as duraleigh said, getting pH in the right range is important. Thanks for posting the results for both pool and fill water. Since your CYA is still too high, and your fill water's pH is high, you can kill two birds with one stone by draining some more water and refilling. This should increase the pH level and lower the CYA ppm. At that point you can start to worry about diagnosing and treating any suspected algae. You're on the way to success, my friend! :-D

Many thanks... feels good to know that we are going in the right direction and not so lost in space..

Will work with your recommendation on draining more water again... and get that pH on mid 7's... and I will much later about the black algae..

I forgot to mention that the water comes out "warm" like it was heated.. it comes like that naturally, like a "spa" kind..

I found at Citi Club Los Cabos, they sell something called "Pool Care - Sodium Carbonate 100%" 5 kg presentation with a cost of aprox. $15-18 USD. This, I believe after some little research, is Soda Ash. But this one comes like some sort of "butter" or "gel". Any suggestions or ideas to know if it's recommendable to use this kind of "butter"? (So far I have only read on TFP on using Soda Ash like powder or so).

The owner of the pool is in town and asked me if the pool is swimmable for now or he has to wait until it gets balanced? I am not quite sure what answer to give in this case with this pool.

Sorry for all my newbie questions..

:|

If you're going to allow the owners to swim in the pool, add some liquid chlorine...

With CYA of 100 ppm, try to get Free Chlorine up to about 8 ppm.

Of course, you can always just tell the owner that you're not finished treating it... :)

Have no idea what to make of soda ash that has a texture of butter... ?! maybe someone else knows. Attach a picture if you have it

polyvue said:
If you're going to allow the owners to swim in the pool, add some liquid chlorine...

With CYA of 100 ppm, try to get Free Chlorine up to about 8 ppm.

Of course, you can always just tell the owner that you're not finished treating it... :)

Have no idea what to make of soda ash that has a texture of butter... ?! maybe someone else knows. Attach a picture if you have it

I think we will wait until we drain again... maybe this time will darin 30% 40% ?

Checked again on the soda ash... the one that looked like butter was opened before and mixed with some rare things... the store guy said they already removed from there.. opened another one and looks like sugar... I think that will help for our soda ash requirements :)

More later....

Hi,

After draining again the pool 50%, the CYA level finally got down to 60, but the other indicators too as well, except the pH which got exactly to 7.5:

FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 1.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 100
CYA: 60
Salt: 1,000

As the FC was very low, I added 5 oz. of trichlor to try to reach the level FC: 4 using the suggested goal levels from Troublefree...

Added also about 40 kgs of salt to increase the salt level too... Don't know if all this was good idea, unfortunately I can't post results so often (connection problems sometimes), so I tried to figure out a little what to do with the aid of the pool calculator...

Have to go and test the pool now...

More later afternoon...

Hope you don't kill me guys for taking this measures...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again,

New update.

Today I vacuumed the pool (though the vacuuming didn't seem to be doing a real vacuum process, will read more on this), burshed and cleaned it with the net.

After wards I tested the water and the results were (wow.. after 2 drainings, the water lose was huge, but finally is over):

FC: 2.0
TC: 2.5
CYA: 70
Salt: 1,490

After this, I added 4.5 oz of trichlor trying to hit a 4 or 5 level (last atime added 4.9oz. and FC raised from 0.5 to 2.0) and a whole 50 kg. salt sack to raise the salt level close to 3,000.

Will check again on Friday this pool.

Is it very important to raise the CH now?

Do you think now I could get some advise on how to treat the black algae shown in the previous pictures/posts?

Or do you have any recommendation before this?

Thanks!

HardTrance9 said:
FC: 2.0
TC: 2.5
CYA: 70
Salt: 1,490

After this, I added 4.5 oz of trichlor trying to hit a 4 or 5 level (last atime added 4.9oz. and FC raised from 0.5 to 2.0) and a whole 50 kg. salt sack to raise the salt level close to 3,000.

Since you just drained the pool trying to get CYA lower so you could shock for algae, it would be a mistake to allow the CYA to go back up!

Every time you add Trichlor, you're also adding CYA to the pool water. You want to increase the Free Chlorine (FC) through the use of liquid chlorine (10-12%), bleach (6%)... or Calcium Hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo) tablets. The Cal-Hypo wll add chlorine and at the same time increase Calcium Hardness (CH).

Is it very important to raise the CH now?

See above. I agree that it's a good idea to increase calcium hardness to 250 ppm or so, but I think the most important thing at this point is to kill off any algae.

Do you think now I could get some advise on how to treat the black algae shown in the previous pictures/posts?

Please read Defeating Algae and then post back with specific questions.

To kill off the black algae and raise your CH level - you can shock with Cal-Hypo. That will raise the CH very slowly. The best way to raise the CH is using a typical calcium increaser.

I agree, you should not use any more trichlor or dichlor for a chlorine source.

Hi all,

Well, finally the pool is crystal clear & sparkling.. sorry no pics now..

We have brushed twice per week, even trying with a metal small brush sometimes, but the black algae won't come off..

Small particules start falling and other kind of re-integrate to the algae while falling! impressive..

Now we have to deal again with the product issue.. no Cal-Hypo here.. .darn... will search in other stores nearby.. I believe to best would be the cal-hypo tablets as you suggest..

But one question... to defeat this black algae in this almost balanced pool, could we do it just by bringing the pool to a shock level and do the brushing?

If so, what are the minimum days would recommend to have it a shock level and brush only until it goes out?

After the shock treatment, the water will slowly get back to it's normal FC level right? (considering a balanced CYA level of no more than 80)..

:wave:

I'm just getting started with the whole pool thing, but it seems to me you must stop using the trichlor &/or dichlor immediately... you're CYA levels are creeping up and you'll soon again be at 100 if you're not careful.

I suggest you use chlorine or liquid chlorine in it's true form if you can't get your hands on Cal-Hypo. Then get yourself some CH increaser to bring you to the level you need on CH. If it's not readily available to you ... you might have to find some of the things you need online and have them shipped to you.

Suziqzer said:
I'm just getting started with the whole pool thing, but it seems to me you must stop using the trichlor &/or dichlor immediately... you're CYA levels are creeping up and you'll soon again be at 100 if you're not careful.

I suggest you use chlorine or liquid chlorine in it's true form if you can't get your hands on Cal-Hypo. Then get yourself some CH increaser to bring you to the level you need on CH. If it's not readily available to you ... you might have to find some of the things you need online and have them shipped to you.

Wow I forgot this post!

By December we had the pool 100% balanced but couldn't get rid of the black algae problem as the house was occupied.

A week ago we just started the shock process bring this pool (GM on signature) at FC:30-32 and checked twice per day with lots of brushing (finished yesterday).

Algae is now finally gone a now we will decrease the FC level. If doesn't go down by tomorrow noon we will use Peroxide to help the FC go down faster.

Finally I managed to find almost every chemical over here, though was kind of difficult to locate every supplier..

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.