How to temporarily block water to perform repair

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Hey all.

My third year on the forum and this has been an amazing resource for me! I literally refer people here all the time, especially those I see in online platforms that are asking for help with their pool chemistry.

I just installed our new 18' Intex Pool and it appears I did not put enough plumbers tape on the vertical connection leading from the skimmer to the intake hose of the pump. I'm trying to figure out how to (temporarily) defy the laws of gravity and stop the water from the skimmer while I disconnect and repair the part. I just need to block the water from the skimmer entering the vertical outlet, or a patch over the entire skimmer? Even google isn't much help right now.

Any tricks or devices that can assist?

Would something like this for into the skimmer pipe? They make all different sizes

This worked well for on various pipes over the years and fits in my pool now too

TECHNICAL PRODUCTS No. 7 to 10 Universal Rubber Winter Plug for a Variety of 1-1/2 Inch Pipe

Thanks for all the great responses! I went to local big box store and ended up getting a flat kitchen drain stopper. It didn't completely stop the water, but enough to make the repair. I also ended up replacing the hose, as it did not stop leaking after replacing with the best plumbers tape. I figured I got 3 years out of it, and it was a hand-me-down, so it was 4 years old.
I may pickup a winter plug just to have around. Thanks all !

Just seeing your dilemma. I used a little foam football 🏈 for years to block my skimmer. Also a racquetball for a while until I got a valve installed below it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.