How to set a PENTAIR FNS PLUS FIBERGLASS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FILTER to (vacuum-to-) waste when there is no multi-port option.

bws92082

Mar 12, 2022
San Diego, CA
My pool filter was installed in a very basic way with no multi-port selector. All it has is a vertical selector that allows you to switch flow from normal to (backwash?). The filter does have a drain plug near the bottom. Is it possible for me to vacuum-to-waste with such a setup? I'm guessing I might just have to open the drain plug and run it in normal filter mode.

My pool filter was installed in a very basic way with no multi-port selector. All it has is a vertical selector that allows you to switch flow from normal to (backwash?). The filter does have a drain plug near the bottom. Is it possible for me to vacuum-to-waste with such a setup? I'm guessing I might just have to open the drain plug and run it in normal filter mode.
I have to vacuum to waste because I will be doing phosphate and clarifier/flocculant treatment and I want to avoid having to backwash/clean the DE filter after I vacuum. See attached pix

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230516_055926.jpg
    20230516_055926.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230516_055915.jpg
    20230516_055915.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
bws,

To vacuum to waste you would need a 3-way valve between your pump and your filter input. Not sure you have the room.

Another option would be to remove the grids inside your filter and them move the slide valve to backwash and use that configuration to vacuum to waste.

If you plan to use phosphate and clarifier/flocculant treatments, then it is pretty obvious that you are not using the TFP pool care process. If you followed our process, you would not need any of those magic chemicals.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hmm. If I have to open the filter to remove the grids, then I might as well just clean the filter while I'm at it.

So there's no way I could use the drain plug?--maybe it would work as partial to-waste and partial filter (which would at least be better than full filter).

bws,

Well, my gut says that if you vacuum that crud through your DE filter that you have have to clean the filter 3 or 4 times before you will be able to vacuum it all out.

But I'm not a expert on magic, so I don't know that for a fact. :)

After you are done, please post back how you did it, and your results, as it might be helpful to our other members in the future.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why are you adding any of that stuff? Is there something wrong with your water? I'd almost guarantee floc is going to do a number on your DE filter.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
I've tried rigging up a Shop Vac, but so far, the ShopVac doesn't seem to be powerful enough to pull water from the center depths of my pool. Priming the hose helps but the prime-water ends up filling most of the 5-gallon container before much of the real vacuuming can begin.

Another option is rigging up some sort of pumpless siphon set-up with the garden hose--I live on a slope so I can get the end of the hose below the pool's deep-end elevation to allow the siphon to work. But the pressure is going to be pretty low so not sure if there's enough to pull up the sediment.

(I thought if I was going to have sediment from the phosphate I might as well get sediment from floc too so I could clean both out in one step--but the floc is not important so I can pass if it's more trouble than it's worth.)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.