How to replace broken union nut

Jul 31, 2013
Delaware
Hello,

The union nut that connects the waste pipe to my VariflowXL multiport cracked yesterday. The nut says 'Praher 1.5" UNION NUT U-150-4' on it.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix this. Here are the options I've thought of, not sure which of these is the correct way:
  1. Purchase a compatible split union nut (not sure if any are available or how to find)
  2. Purchase a replacement nut, cut the existing waste pipe to slip the nut onto, and reconnect the cut pipe with a pvc coupling
  3. Purchase a whole new union, remove the existing one screwed into the multiport (is this possible? is it glued in there?), and cut the existing waste pipe to install the new union nut (similar to #2).
  4. Get the broken nut back onto the waste pipe and use expoxy in the crack
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 9
Hello,

The union nut that connects the waste pipe to my VariflowXL multiport cracked yesterday. The nut says 'Praher 1.5" UNION NUT U-150-4' on it.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix this. Here are the options I've thought of, not sure which of these is the correct way:
  1. Purchase a compatible split union nut (not sure if any are available or how to find)
  2. Purchase a replacement nut, cut the existing waste pipe to slip the nut onto, and reconnect the cut pipe with a pvc coupling
  3. Purchase a whole new union, remove the existing one screwed into the multiport (is this possible? is it glued in there?), and cut the existing waste pipe to install the new union nut (similar to #2).
  4. Get the broken nut back onto the waste pipe and use expoxy in the crack
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Ditch #4, epoxy won’t hold very long. If you can find an exact replacement you may be able to just do swap out the parts, but they don’t seem to be very standard. Might have to go option 3.

They make split nuts for repair.

it would take some research and measurements, as there are multiple thread pitches and sizes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.