How to remove filter tie rod from a Hayward C1200 filter housing.....

kymapman56

Jan 7, 2021
Florida
Hi Guys, after reading numerous posts about stripped threads on Hayward filter tie rods and their associated filter locking star knobs, I've concluded that the threads on the rod may have now become too worn. I need to replace the rod. The female side found within the star knob may also be stripped so I'll replace it too.

My question is, how is the rod attached to the bottom of the housing. Mine is still attached very securely. Is it just screwed in or is there a c-clamp or ???. If it's just screwed in (which I'm guessing 'cause I don't see a retaining clip down there, which direction do I turn it to loosen and remove it...CW or CCW? I'm assuming I can remove the rod with a vice grips or pipe wrench without dismounting the entire housing from the concrete slab????

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to save my self the $750 the pool cleaners want to replace the whole unit!

Kevin

My question is, how is the rod attached to the bottom of the housing.
Should just be screwed in. I use a small pipe wrench to tighten mine, but anything that you can get a good grip on it should work to remove it. Standard CCW should do it. The rod is only screwed into the bottom of the filter, so there should be no need to remove the entire housing from your pad. Good luck, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.