How to remove damaged waterline tile from a fiberglass pool

bauerdr

May 9, 2014
philadelphia PA
We added waterline tile to our fiberglass pool about 8 years ago. We're in a northern climate and despite efforts to keep the water below the tile all through the winter, we have had freeze-line damage to some tile. We have leftover tiles and ideally, I'd like to remove the damaged ones and replace them. I cannot find anything about how to do this.

The tiles were adhered with 100% silicone adhesive sealant and the grout is also 100% silicone grout. I added a photo of what was used. I've searched the forum and cannot find any answer to this question.
IMG_8924.jpg

Ahh. Putty knife/scraper. Just peels off. At least mine does.
That easy? Hmmm, I was thinking I'd need to clean up some with a razor blade before applying new but wasn't sure how to pop them off. Also, they were sheets of 6 tiles or so when applying and I'm hoping to just remove one here and there, not the entire sheet so I guess we'll have to give it a try and see what happens. Thank you.

Let us know what you find that works for you.

We have many more putting tiles on then removing them.

I'm hoping to just remove one here and there
Use a razor blade between the tiles to score the silicone grout and the mesh. You need to clean off as much of the silicone as you can. But anything really stuck on will stay that way.

Reactions: bauerdr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.