How to remove an Esther Williams/Johnny Wiesmuller Coping Cover Cap?

KKell

Jul 12, 2015
Rochester, NY
We're replacing our wooden deck with Composite and it looks like we need to take the Coping Rails off our pool in order to do that. But I can't figure out how to remove the coping cover caps. The screw is just spinning in place with what looks like a nut that is located inside the post. Its hard to take a picture, but the part is the one I attached.

Note that I don't seem to have the "top of the line" EW pool.

I also attached a picture from a few years ago when we painted the deck (with paint that failed, hence now ripping it up and doing composite). It looks like back then we never took the covers off but removed all the coping cover rails, and once you get one off you can push them to the side. But this time the pool is full of water and it wouldn't be safe to take more than one piece off at a time, so if there is a way to get these pieces off all the way I'd love to know how.

Attachments

• T1695-24-side.jpg
    T1695-24-side.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 15
  • JJ3p2kDQ.jpeg
    JJ3p2kDQ.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 15
The nut may have been welded to the underside of the top of the post and the weld broke/. If you can't get in there to hold the nut to keep it from spinning, you will have to cut the heads off the screws. I would widen the slot and see if I could grab the nut with a small box or crescent wrench. Grind the sides of the crescent end down so it isn't as wide. If that doesn't work, cut the heads of the existing screws off, then see if you can replace them with a sheet metal screw that doesn't need a nut on the underside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.