How to prevent birds from building nests under top rail cap gaps, and stop spiders from building their webs in pool legs?

Crackerjack4u

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2015
Kentucky
This is probably an odd question, but thought I'd ask anyway. I just replaced my pool because the wind destroyed my old one. When tearing down the old pool. A bird had built their nest under about every top rail cap on there.

Also, inside 9 of the actual leg frames that come down from the top rail to the ground, I killed 9 black widow spiders who were living life to the fullest completely concealed in there from view.

I noticed that my new pool also has the wide open gap areas under the caps. The gaps are too wide just to add something like silicone caulking to them. (one would think they'd improved over the years and built those to snap completely closed without a large gap).

I'd like to try to find a way to seal off that gap somehow before a repeat of what happened with the old pool occurs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to close off these gaps so the birds and spiders cant set up home in them? Thank you.

I’m having same issues with wasps and small wolf spiders. I actually don’t mind the spiders too much, as long as they mind their own business. Hopefully they’ll eat all the other bugs! But wasps? I hate those with all the passion in my soul. When I see one flying into an upright, I grab the 20 feet wasp spray and unload on that area on both sides of upright.

I‘m reluctant to try to seal area because I don’t want to inadvertently damage it. So I’m still thinking it thru.

I’m having same issues with wasps and small wolf spiders. I actually don’t mind the spiders too much, as long as they mind their own business. Hopefully they’ll eat all the other bugs! But wasps? I hate those with all the passion in my soul. When I see one flying into an upright, I grab the 20 feet wasp spray and unload on that area on both sides of upright.

I‘m reluctant to try to seal area because I don’t want to inadvertently damage it. So I’m still thinking it thru.
I get it, but it's so annoying. I also dont want to damage my new pool, so hopefully someone has a good way to prevent it without any damage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read but never tried tying DVDs or CDs (for those of us old enough to remember them) to the top rail and when wind hits them they spin and flash. Supposedly this scares the birds but again I don't know.

Maybe get this DVD.

s-l500.jpg

We don't mind the birds nesting there (we have a few birdhouses in the yard so, why not?) but when I knew I was going to replace my pool a few years ago we didn't want them to return and nest there in spring only to get torn out.

We filled them up with those light (by weight) lava rocks since we had them around. It worked for the birds, but probably wouldn't keep spiders out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.