How to Paint

mhysteik

May 12, 2023
Grand Rapids Michigan
Moved from HERE

We installed our Splash Pools Super Pool in 2002, I had to replace 10 of the legs in 2017 because they rusted at ground level.
Again in May this year (2020) so many legs had corroded that two corners were collapsed and the whole of one of the long sides was no longer supported.
Many issues caused the demise of the pool:

1) In 2008 I converted the pool to a salt system, every splash of water attacked the powder coated legs and the 3/4 inch tube at the foot of each leg, rusting them so badly that they broke and collapsed
2) Originally I used 10x2 inch treated wood to support each leg of the pool, knowing that the ground is very hard and compacted clay, some of these sunk into the clay over the years
3) When I replaced some legs in 2017 I replaced some of the wooden pads with the Splash pools plastic feet, these also sank into the clay

6 weeks ago we emptied all the water, purchased 22 new stainless steel legs, and had a local steel stock holder cut me 22 pieces of 3/4 inch stainless steel bars bars 12 inches long and started 'digging'.
I say 'digging', you will understand what I mean when you tell you that when I first erected the pool I built a massive deck around it, so now I had to work under a deck that is 45 inches tall !!

I had to remove each leg, drive the old, rusted, partially disintegrated 3/4 inch anchoring pipes from the base of each leg and I dug a new footing, filled it with concrete and repeated 22 times, all while crouching under the deck in the Georgia heat and humidity.

3 weeks later we started refilling the pool, replacing the 19 year old seals for the inlet and outlets.
we painted the white band around the top of the pool and now its as good as new again.

While there is a 20 year warranty that's prorated, I got a small discount on the few legs I replaced in 2017 but didn't bother trying this time.

Now that the legs are all stainless, the 3/4 inch anchors are stainless and the retaining rings are all stainless, and everything now has concrete footings, I expect the legs to last for ever.
The Kevlar itself shows no evidence of deteriorating, other than the blue color has faded, I'm hoping to get another 20 years out of it, if not it has been a tremendous investment.
If anyone is interested in my opinion, I would upgrade to stainless legs and replace the galvanized tubes with stainless bars before installing the pool, then there is nothing to replace for many many years.
What did you paint the white band around the
pool with

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

I think it is best to tell us what you want to do and post some pictures of your pool and what you want to paint.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi ajw I have a splash superpool 17x30 ……. I haven’t put it up this year yet, but the top is white banding I attached a picture from their website. The pool is about 10 years old and the white banding is getting Dingy looking ….. the guy above said he painted his band after replacing the legs on his super pool so I was wondering what he may have painted it with …..

Attachments

• E73F9052-91AA-4648-86A9-7B1C57CF8F42.jpeg
    E73F9052-91AA-4648-86A9-7B1C57CF8F42.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 5
What material is the white band you want to paint?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.