How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

Re: How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

Based on the video, I would say that the expansion is probably a little bit excessive. Maybe try clean or new cartridges.

If the filter is over 10 years old and you're not going to downsize the pump, you might want to consider replacing the filter.

A new filter will still flex and expand, but it will be stronger because it hasn't been fatigued by thousands of cycles of pressure.

Re: How to know when to replace filter housing? Top of filter "rising" when starting?

I am sorry. I skipped in my head it was a cartridge filter. Do you clean your cartridges when the pressure rises by 20-25% over clean pressure?

Take care

Pressure showed 20 psi when installed/clean and gets to about 25 psi by the time I clean it. Does that sound about right?

A system running at more than about 15 psi is usually a poorly designed system using at least 5 to 10 times more energy than it should.

Variable speed pumps can maintain most pools using less than 200 watts. The pressure at the filter pressure gauge is usually less than 5 psi with some needles that don't even get off zero.

I would try to get the pressure down below 15 psi.

I have the same filter and mine expanded just as much if not more when I first had a 1 HP Northstar pump on the filter so I would say that is completely normal. Mine is over 12 years old now and still in excellent condition but because I now have a VS that slowly ramps up speed, the filter doesn't get that expansion anymore.

A system running at more than about 15 psi is usually a poorly designed system using at least 5 to 10 times more energy than it should.

Variable speed pumps can maintain most pools using less than 200 watts. The pressure at the filter pressure gauge is usually less than 5 psi with some needles that don't even get off zero.

I would try to get the pressure down below 15 psi.

I've added pump specs to signature--please see below and advise.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 what jamesW said. What size is your pump?

I've added my pump specs to signature. Please see below and advise. Thank you,

What size is the cartridge filter?

Big single speed pump. You would do well with at least a two speed or VS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.