chrisg7

Aug 28, 2023
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve attached pictures of some significant cracks that have formed between the grout line and the concrete above it.

How should we fix this?

Should we use clear caulking so it can move more freely?

Or do we need to add more grout, even though it could crack again?

Our foundation does have a lot of movement so I know the pool area is also moving seasonally.

Any help would be appreciated.

@ajw22
@duraleigh
And anyone else who might have experience with this. Thanks so much!

IMG_5374.jpegIMG_5373.jpeg

You have a deck cantilevered over the pool. The joint either needs to be left open or filled with a plastic strip.

Grout will just crack again from the movement. Caulk will attract algae.

Cantilevered_Coping.png

Reactions: chrisg7
You have a deck cantilevered over the pool. The joint either needs to be left open or filled with a plastic strip.

Grout will just crack again from the movement. Caulk will attract algae.

Cantilevered_Coping.png
Can you give me an example of what you mean by “plastic strip?”

Also, won’t leaving it open result in water getting behind the fiberglass? And if so, is that something I need to prevent?

Thank you so much!

I’ve attached pictures of some significant cracks that have formed between the grout line and the concrete above it.

How should we fix this?

Should we use clear caulking so it can move more freely?

Or do we need to add more grout, even though it could crack again?

Our foundation does have a lot of movement so I know the pool area is also moving seasonally.

Any help would be appreciated.

@ajw22
@duraleigh
And anyone else who might have experience with this. Thanks so much!

View attachment 557478View attachment 557480
Looks like the deck is sinking on the opposite side and lifting the coping side, maybe from water leaking in the soil. You don’t want water getting in there.

You should have a concrete collar around the pool that prevents water from getting behind it.

Fiberglass_Pool_with_Collar.jpg
Here is a pic of a piece of the concrete that has chipped off above the water line. Does it look like it has the concrete collar? Figured this picture might help you see what’s behind it. I do see some green/fiberglass color in there. @ajw22 IMG_5379.jpeg

Here is a pic of a piece of the concrete that has chipped off above the water line. Does it look like it has the concrete collar? Figured this picture might help you see what’s behind it. I do see some green/fiberglass color in there. @ajw22

My x-ray visison is not working right now.

Did you install this pool or inherit it?

It looks like they installed waterline tile and then poured a concrete deck on top tieing it into the waterline tile trying to make it look like a plaster pool. The deck has separated from the tile due to ground movement and maybe the deck shifting. You are not going to put it back the way it was designed to be.

The long term fix is to demo the deck and rebuild as a true cantilevered deck that allows separate movement of the pool and deck. It does not look like that was the original construction.

In the meantime you can try stuffing something flexible into the ragged joint. I think it will continue to be a problem and require periodic maintenance.

My x-ray visison is not working right now.

Did you install this pool or inherit it?

It looks like they installed waterline tile and then poured a concrete deck on top tieing it into the waterline tile trying to make it look like a plaster pool. The deck has separated from the tile due to ground movement and maybe the deck shifting. You are not going to put it back the way it was designed to be.

The long term fix is to demo the deck and rebuild as a true cantilevered deck that allows separate movement of the pool and deck. It does not look like that was the original construction.

In the meantime you can try stuffing something flexible into the ragged joint. I think it will continue to be a problem and require periodic maintenance.
We inherited the pool. We’ve only been here about 9 months. Pool is 40 years old but decking is only a few years old. We get a lot of foundation movement here so I’m sure it’s trying to move around. Thanks for your help.

We inherited the pool. We’ve only been here about 9 months. Pool is 40 years old but decking is only a few years old. We get a lot of foundation movement here so I’m sure it’s trying to move around. Thanks for your help.
Are you in one of those Texas communities that waters their foundation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support