How to drain/vacuum water below skimmer?

Jun 5, 2023
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Cannot vacuum for very long and certainly haven't figured out how to drain past the skimmer. Once water dips below, air is sucked between skimmer vac plate and pump loses prime. How can I prevent this?
Previous owner plugged the 2nd hole in the skimmer, presumably the connection to main drain.
Is there a trick I don't know here???

If the main drain is connected to the skimmer, and the skimmer is plugged, then you simply can't vacuum below the skimmer.

Just to make sure.. Show us a pic of your equipment pad, specifically the inputs to your pump.

How close to the pool is your equipment pad?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, so I figured out a method to get it done. Hopefully this helps others. I had a water hose going straight into the skimmer basket as I vacuumed and that was enough to hold the prime.
Next question is, if I choose to vacuum all the way down z what's the best way to clean the pool and make sure all issues(algae,etc.) Are taken care of before refilling?

are you talking about draining and refilling the entire pool? With a vinyl liner you can't completely drain or you liner will shift. There should be at least a foot of water in the shallow end. If you have an algae issue, a proper SLAM will take care of it without draining the entire pool.

Sorry , shouldn't have said all the way down. It will be a partial drain and refill. Just wanted to see if there are any tips on cleaning before the refill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.