how to cool my pool

Aug 12, 2015
Teutpolis, IL
In IL and been open for several weeks . My water is already 80-85 degrees. Have a clear solar cover. My pool sits in direct sun no shade. I know in a few weeks it will fill like bath water if I leave the cover on... even without it seems to get too warm. I like the cover to help keep the dust out and keep chlorine in since I have so much sun. Any suggestions on what to do to reduce the water temp or prevent it from getting too warm? Change to reflective solar cover instead of clear?

If you type -

DIY pool cooler

in the Search Box at the upper right, you will get lots of hits. Many people make cheap PVC adapters to attach into their returns to generate a fountain. A spray of warm pool water will cool rapidly in air and then return to the pool. It's a cheap way to cool a pool by a few degrees (especially if you sit under the fountain spray).

Other than that, you either have to uncover your pool at night to let it evaporatively cool OR buy an expensive heat pump and run it in cooling mode.

The two issues you mention may be easily taken care of. For the dust, I would skim longer during the day, or for several times during the day or vacuum more often if it sinks quickly. Here are reasonably priced robots for above ground pools.

For chlorine usage, that is managed with proper stabilizer (CYA) levels. If you do not have a SWCG for chlorine production then try keeping your CYA level at 50. You should be able to only lose 2-4 PPM's of chlorine. What do you run your CYA level at now?

Because you will fight an uphill battle to cool a pool using a solar cover in sunny summer weather - I'd consider examining why you use it during the summer and seeing if the ideas above make sense for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.